1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What cutting edge do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kolkie05, Sep 3, 2009.

1. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

I have a rubber cutting edge on my plow now. I was told this was better for paver block drives. Which do you feel performs better the steel cutting edge or rubber?

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

you answer your own question. Rubber edges are better for certain things. For street plowing I would use steel. it all matters what you are doing
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Rubber is definitely safer for pavers, Poly is even better, wears longer and does not require adjustment for snow types like rubber edges do.
  4. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Are the poly any good for parking lots?
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I didn't know the rubber edges needed adjusting for snow types? :confused:

Yes....... IMO, poly is the all around best....you have the safety/cushion ability "closer to rubber", & the scraping ability "closer to steel"...............we run all 3, I dont have a problem with any of them though, they all have advantages..
  6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Rubber edge for interlock stones, but when it comes to commercial pavement I prefer Carbide cutting edge. Boron is another strong material too.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes, they recommend that rubber be either one inch below the moldboard for frozen, dry or packed snow and three inches below the moldboard for wet, fluffy or melting snow. That's why they have slots as opposed to holes.
  8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I thought the slots were for adjusting as they wear?......this is strange to me, because I have been running rubber edges on my pushers for the last 4 or 5 yrs and have had no major problems with the different types of snow.....the factory recommendations were to adjust 3/4 - 1 inch below skis and go. I have had great wear on my skis and edges. In fact, I may end up getting 6 or 7 seasons out of a 10fter edge. I will tell you right now if I put my edge 3 inches below my skis it would be a waste.
  9. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

I used poly on my v-plow and my toolcat plow last winter and loved them,the only problem is if you have problems with packed snow by traffic the poly won't cut it other than that I feel poly is the best choice for me. its quiet and easier on the equipment (does not grab and catch) just my 2cents
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not below the skis below the moldboard. the slots will allow for wear adjustment as well.

Yes they wear a long time, the Polys run even longer.
  11. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

My personal truck has always had a steel edge with curbguards.

Our work trucks run 5/8" steel edges backed by carbide.
    We have trucks with thousands of miles of plowing on them that barely have over an inch of wear on a 6" edge. Not sure if they make a carbide edge for smaller plows....