1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what could be wrong?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by mcwlandscaping, Mar 4, 2008.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Here's the deal, a little while ago (week or two) my lightbar just stopped working, after using it, went to use it again and i get nothing, no idea what's wrong. Then day or two later, used my rear work lights (two on backrack and the takedowns in back of lightbar), went to use them again a few hours later and i got nothing, all worklights are on the same switch. What could be wrong? The control box is getting power but when switches are hit, the lightbar and worklights are not lighting. Any ideas guys? Bad ground to the lights (that would be three grounds that would have had to go bad). All the fuses that i know of have been tested and are good.

Thanks for any help,
    -mike-

2. mcwlandscaping

are there any fuses in the bar itself? maybe in any power pack in the bar?

3. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

it would help to know what kind of lightbar?

4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

im guessing its a whelen mini edge by the sounds of it. check the fuse thats located by the power supply in the strobe. check your ground and make sure thats still a solid connection. maybe your power supply went south. if its 10yrs old or newer i think whelen will replace it. ive got a six strobe mini edge and my power supply and fuse were on the same side as my take downs, and if your looking at the bar im pretty sure i recall the fuse being to the left of that.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  5. mcwlandscaping

Thanks guys, my takedowns are in the back of the bar, we're heading to my dads garage at his shop to pull it apart now to check things out. The ground is good, so i think i'm good there! Will get back to you soon. Yes it is an edge series lightbar.

6. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

the lights are reversible, you can use them as take downs or reverse and work ligths for the rear. im still pretty sure the power supply should be on the side of work lights/take downs.

7. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Double check your grounds, disconnect and clean them and reattach them. Also check inside the bar, theres at least 3 or 4 fuses in the bar for various things, and also check the wires inside and outside for chafing that may have rubbed through and be grounding out.

8. mcwlandscaping

Here is what i found, all fuses in the bar and going to the bar are good. All grounds are in perfect order, ive checked everything with a multimeter and i think i found the problem. Somewhere in the two power wires that go to the bar for the strobes and the other one for the takedowns and the worklights i think there is a problem with it. I'm only reading 2 volts at the end of the wire where it is entering the bars circuit board, but at the beginnning of the wire it is reading 12volts. So i'm going to run a new wire and see if that fixes my problem.

Any other ideas are definitely welcome!!

thanks,
    -mike-

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Your flasher fluid might be low. :waving:

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Way to add fuel to the fire.

11. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

do you have a spare strobe or a way to test the strobe power supply

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  12. mcwlandscaping

I'm not even getting power to the lightbar, or enough to do anything, so i surely wouldn't think that the powerpack is putting out anything at all. How would you suggest hooking up a spare strobe to the powerpack? this isn't a hideaway kit, this is a lightbar, i don't know if you were thinking that.

13. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Same theory though, pull out a twistlock, unplug it and plug in the spare. But I do agree, seems like you're not getting enough power. If you're only getting 2 Volts at one end, replace the wire.

14. mcwlandscaping

none of my bulbs are twist lock, they are all the linear strobes (one of which needs to be replaced (will post a pic tomorrow)). Anyway, i'll try to replace that wire tomorrow if the weather cooperates or if i can get in the school garage to do it :) I'll let you know what happens,

thanks a bunch for the advice,
    -mike-

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I try.:nod:

:Dwesport