1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What constitutes 1 vs 2 clearings?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snowsam, Jan 25, 2015.

1. snowsam

snowsam Junior Member
    from 07030

Here in NY/NJ its supposed to snow from 6 am mon till 11 pm tuesday. Is it just one price even though we'd have to clear 2-3 times? When does it become 2 events or 2 charges. One place is a business that obviously needs to be cleared by tuedays business. Is it another one to clear snow that falls after opening of tuesday business?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Little late to be figuring out your pricing huh?
  3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Depends how you have it set. Per push, or by snow totals. I go by totals so I only go twice after 6" and I get paid more for that. How is your contract written with the businesses?
  4. snowsam

snowsam Junior Member
    from 07030

Not pricing

prices are already set, Im interested in when a long storm(days) is considered 2 events. Thanks in advance.
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

One storm = one event. Your prices can't be already set if you're asking this.

Some have it based on inches. The more inches, more pushes, thus more charged. If you have it set up for a flat fee per storm, get ready to be hosed.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

And who says plow jockeys aren't smart

If you have one set price for plowing out stipulations on how many pushes, inches, you have your price. Sounds like you priced per event without thinking. If one event is 20 or 30, your current price is the price.
  7. dieselss

When it literally STOPS snowing. Event over. Starts snowing again...new event.
    Don't see the complication in that one
  8. 1olddogtwo

Agreed, sounds like we were typing out the same thing at the same time
  9. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Talk to them ask if they want to wait till the end of storm. If not, plow and charge. And plow again after the storm and another charge. Just be up front with them letting them make the choice
  10. dieselss

Yea, do you mind me waiting till the end to plow the 30"? And you not being able to open your business b/c I'm waiting?

Yea there gunna love that
  11. hatchmastr

hatchmastr Senior Member
    from 516

i was thinking the same thing i have my prices based on amount 1-3" 4-6" 7-12+" every add " afterward +

forcast is
    1-3 tommrow until 12 am

tommrow night 9-13

teusday morning 4-8

if there is a signaficant time beetween all three accuminations. as if there is a break in the storm then starts again, i will charge each as a seperate event
    if there is no time beetween all accumilations then it is only based on accumilation,
  12. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I'm assuming for some reason this is a driveway question. Pricing per event vs. per push 90% of the time will be the same total. I'd suggest next year you word it as per push to cover multi-trip storms, like this one is sure to be. Most reasonable customers though will get it, big storm...they're calling it "historic" even, so explain to them that it's more work, more snow, yadda yadda yadda and they'll probably understand if you charge them a little more, but probably given the current arrangement charging double isn't a smart move, probably 1.5X is safe...but I could be wrong.
  13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I think the op should have subbed for a few years before taking on accounts. This is pretty basic stuff we're going over here
  14. 1olddogtwo

significant time, that's open to a board definition.

bottom line this event will be recorded as one storm even if dry slotted for a few hours.
  15. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

Every time we show up we get paid. Some storms require 2 saltings and plowings in a 24 hour period some places require 4. My commercials don't care they just want it done. Driveways get dome when the snow stops unless they call and if I go twice, I charge twice
  16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Wait,did I mention I prefer seasonals? Less complicated
  17. MichiganMark

MichiganMark Junior Member

If you make the trip, they get the slip.