1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What combination is best?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by crw432, Jan 12, 2003.

1. crw432

crw432 Junior Member

I have a 1983 Crew Cab, 2WD, Chassis Cab (narrow dual wheels), 164.5" w/b, I think. Also have an array of other trucks in the bone yard. My plan is to use a 1978 4WD, long w/b, reg cab. chassis and put my 3+3 cab on it. Has anyone out there done this swap, my concern is the clearance between the rear of the cab and the rear tires? If there is enough room to do this I plan on cutting the front of a short bed off to center the wheelwell over the tires, also will tub the inner fenders to make room for the duals. Other options: 1. to use a 2WD 3/4 reg cab lwd chassis, 2: shorten the original frame(?), 3. Buy a new Avalanche! (cause that is what I am trying to build) Any suggestions on using the 3+3 cab to make it a shorter wheelbase? Do not care if it 4WD cause I have plenty of them. Also correct me if I am wrong:
    SWB = 117.5, LWB = 131.5, 3+3 = 164.5 ?? Is that all they made?
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2003
  2. TrailK10

TrailK10 Member
    from NH

It seems to me like you should have enough room I know the doors on the crew cabs are a little bit smaller. on my truck which has an 8' box there is 38" betwwen the cab and the fender well hope this helps.
  3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

See if you can get a hold of Rob aka 75. He is a moderator on a few of the forums here at plowsite. He is doing a similar project with early 80's chevy's as well. You can even check out his project and pics of it at chucks chevy truck pages, here is a link to that site. I'm sure he could provide you with some info
  4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I would use the crew frame and move the rear axle forward to make the wheelbase you want. I was looking at doing this to a truck my brother had. It would also be the easiest way.