1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What color?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by WALKERS, Nov 19, 2006.

1. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

:help: What is the diffrence in color of hydro fluid (black or red)? A friend of mine gave me a five gallon bucket of hydro (dark color could be blue), he owns a hydraulic company here.
    Can I use that in my Boss?

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

My Boss dealer said ONLY use the boss fluid. He gave me a qt, its red.

3. starc

starc Senior Member

I use SAE 32 hydraulic fluid, if it's red it's more than likely power steering fluid which many manufacturers will tell you to use,

4. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

any fluid will work its just some have de-icers (so they say...) which keeps the fluid from geling up or freezing when its super cold...ive always just stuck with auto tranny fluid, its cheap but....

ive peed on an e-47 many a time to unstick a frozen valve...

the stuff you got is most likely sae-30 straight weight which is what most hydro fluids are....the tranny fluid or "special" fluids the mfgrs sell are a bit lighter but still have the proper hydraulic properties

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Thats gotta be a sight to see while doing someones driveway. LOL:jester:

6. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks

I thank you for your replies and I broke down and went and got some BOSS fluid.
    The guy tells me its "Military use" good to 20 below, but we are in Cincinnait so if the planets are lined up correctly and there is eclipse or something, then I might get to test that 20 below theory LOL We had a WOOPING two 2" events last year. There was alot
    of pre salt and alot of playstation that season:D :eek:

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

"Sorry Ma'am, I'll be just a minute here!"

8. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

hey wouldnt wanna throw away that fresh cub of coffee i just drove out to get now would i?.....and yeah....

i dont do driveways...but heck if it happened and i was in the right spot at the right time at 3am then maybe id do it again...

haha