1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what color strobes legal in mass?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Tundraplow07, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Tundraplow07

Tundraplow07 Member

Hey Guys
    I was just wondering what color strobes are legal in mass ? I looked up the laws and stuff but find only amber is legal for emergency/tow/plow/construction vehicles but what about white strobes ? any ides would be greatly appreciated thanks Thumbs Up and lets hope for snow soon before we all go insane

2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

A lot of guys do white but it isn't legal. Amber is what you are supposed to use.

3. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Like Patsfan said its amber and only amber in Mass,there are many with those white strobes inside their head and tail lights and cops the last 2 years especialy last year busting guys for them.Those strobes inside the headlites are so low they reflect off the plow so brightly they blind you after a fue hours nevermind 10 or so.I have dropped the strobes on my new truck and got a Show me mini LED amber roof lite and like it 10 times better,there is little to none blinding and lites up the truck like a Christmas tree.And its easily removed when getting a new truck.

4. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

540 CMR 22.06

22.06: Mounting and Display of Amber and Other Colored Lights
    (1)
    No person shall mount or display a flashing, rotating or oscillating amber light on a motor vehicle operated on the way, except as provided in 540 CMR 22.06.
    (2)
    Flashing, rotating or oscillating amber light(s) may be mounted and displayed on:
    (a)
    motor vehicles used for emergency or service purposes operated by members or employees of an auxiliary police force, charitable organizations, private burglar alarm companies, private detective and private security agencies, agencies of the Commonwealth or its politicalsubdivisions, persons and garages providing motorists assistance services or towing services, public and private utility companies for emergency or service purposes, persons and companies that are transporting human blood or organs for emergency purposes, oxygen, explosives or other hazardous materials;
    (b)
    motorvehicles that have the owner's name displayed so as to be plainly visible fromeachside or from the front and rearofthe motorvehicle, and which are actually engaged in the performance of a service, public or private, where the display of such lights would be in the best interest of public safety; and
    (c)
    such other motor vehicles as authorized by written permit of the Registrar, which shall be carried by the operator upon his or her person or in the vehicle in some easily accessible place. No person shall mount or display any flashing, rotating or oscillating light of any color other than
    amber, except blue and red lights as provided in M.G.L. c. 90, § 7E, unless by written permit of the Registrar,
    which shall be carried by the operator upon his or her person or inthe vehicle, in some easily accessible place.
    (3)
    The Registrar may order the removal of any colored light, including amber, atanytime he deems necessary, upon written notice to the registrant, with a copy to the chief of police where said motor vehicle is principally garaged. Any registrant so notified, who fails to remove suchcolored lights, and who operates or permits the operation of such lights on the public way, shall be in violation of the Registrar's rules and regulations as provided in M.G.L. c. 90, §20.
    (4)
    For purposes of 540 CMR 2.06, the following are not considered flashing, rotating or oscillating lights as restricted by M.G.L. c. 90, § 7 and do not require a permit to be issued by the Registrar:
    (a)
    a flashing strobe light stop signal arm attached to a school bus in compliance with 49 CFRPart 571; or
    (b)
    a modulating motorcycle headlight mounted and operated on a motorcycle, in compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard # 108, 49 CFR 571.108.

5. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Amber facing forward, DO NOT PUT THEM IN YOUR HEADLIGHT (turn signals are ok) as it will be taken as impersonating a police officers headlight flashers, most police officers are fine with the tail lights flashing red/white, but any strobes not mounted in the head/tail lights should be yellow.

6. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

I have used amber,green,white front and rear and have also used red to the rear in mass,all in a whelen 9m light bar. I also dont run my lights while driving between jobs, just driving down the road im not a hazard with the plow on. I do use them when im near streets while plowing lots and drives. I have had p.d. stop and talk to me while there running and have never had a problem. I was stopped one time for having drive lights that were a bluish color that were steady burn in the front bumper and told I couldnt use them,go figure.

7. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't do green lights!!!

8. jhall22guitar

I think green is for like Mall security in MA. and i know any color other than amber is technically illegal in MA. Most cops dont care about white/red 4corners in the rear (since some trucks just have the red turn signals now) Other than that your taking a risk.

9. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

If you read 540 CMR 22.06, ALL colors are illegal in MA except as provided in MGL Ch. 90 s. 7E and the exemptions listed in 540 CMR 22.06

Just because some haven't been hasseled over their lights, doesn't make it leagal.

10. Tundraplow07

Tundraplow07 Member

I Called The State Police Headquarters and asked what is allowed on a plow truck/ road service vehicle he said amber and white are legal but anything else is illegal

11. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

I'll say it again, read the section in bold. I'll bet you $300 that clear in any dirrection is illegal..... payup

12. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I dont understand the fascination with having different color lighting on your vehicle. The whole purpose of a light on a plow truck is to warn motorists to use caution when near one. Sudden stops, u-turns, etc may happen at a moments notice. Why just not use amber. I dont understand why people want to use green/blue/odd color lights just to be different. If there is a sick underlying fantasy of emulating a police officer with colored lights than apply for their job.

13. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Amber and only amber,and dont get those strobes in your headlights if for no other reason that they blind you bouncing off the plow.Go plow from dusk to dawn with headlight strobes and you see them in your sleep for days.

14. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Dont run any wig wags. Like stated above dont was your time with front strobes in lights for plowing. They bounce of mole board.

Lots of people run white. Not legal as stated above. But not really enforced during storms. I have white Whelen Vertex in back up lights and have a mini magnet bar over head (Sho-me) All of these are LED.

So for 500 bucks you can make your truck very visable and not get bothered. Unless you need all those strobes for reasons other than plowing. Dont waste the money. After we get pounded with snow and money is rolling. Then maybe get some Atomic Led. Making yourself look like a tow truck. Not worth it Plus you will kill battery unless you have a Diesel or upgrade alt

The Vertex are simple to install. No power pack, Just 2 switches and power line. keep in mind you have to connect the sync wire so they dont oscilate

http://www.swps.com/ab2shledlowp.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_content=ab2shledlowp&utm_campaign=froogle&gclid=CPuow-D7xa0CFYFx4Aod5UscBg
    http://www.swps.com/vertex.html?gclid=CMLA9MD8xa0CFQXd4AodfnVHBw
    http://www.atomicled.com/

15. jibber4533

jibber4533 Junior Member

my neighbor is a statie and he explained to me his views on the subject.... amber lights can be viewed from any direction, red stobes can only be rear facing, and white stobes can only be in a factory clear lens IE headlight or reverse lamp

16. citywide

citywide Junior Member

Your neighbor the statie is wrong.

AMBER is the only LEGAL color you can use in MA.

You can not use clear or white, you can not use Red to the rear... you can use AMBER.

17. jhall22guitar

You are correct, but they do NOT enforce it during the storms. Is it legal, no. Do they enforce it, no. They are a little more flexible with the tail lights being red/white since some trucks do not have the amber turn signals in the back anymore. If you put the strobes in headlight/running light then they do care ALOT.

So legal, NO
    Enforced, no

18. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

******** they dont DOT was ripping people apart for strobes last year.

19. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Ok, scroll back a few post and READ what I posted regarding 540 CMR 22.06 and M.G.L. Ch 90 s. 7E

:rolleyes:

$300 says you're wrong. Thumbs Up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  20. citywide

citywide Junior Member

The original question was "what color strobe is legal in MA"

The answer and the only answer is AMBER

You can try to justify it any way you want but the answer will not change.

To say they don't enforce it is just incorrect.

I have had a number of customers over they years that we told them not to put the lights in the tail lights yet they insisted and would it you know they come back after getting a ticket and to have us change them.

One of the largest road construction companies in MA was working for the state on the highway and was issued tickets for all of their trucks by the detail office assigned to the job for having hideaways behind their RED taillights.

In addition to an installer I am also a Police Officer, there is an entire pamphlet that is dedicated to warning light enforcement available to police officers and in the academy that told us it if we wanted to we could fine $300 for the car or $300 per bulb.

It is enforceable and does get enforced, might not be so much during the storms but to say it doesn't get enforced is just wrong.

Just my $.02