1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What changes are you making for next year?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by drivewaydoctor, Jan 12, 2009.

1. I'm just wondering if any of you have made any decisions on things you will do differently next season. Maybe expanding equipment or downsizing etc. What are your plans?

_____________________________________________________________________________

As for me I'm buying two more trucks. Probably Dodge Dakota's regular cab short box and two new plows for them. I'm not decided on what brand plows yet. It will all depend on service availability and if the shop is open 24 hours. I'm also going to pickup a v-box salter for my Ram for commercial lots. In addition to the trucks I will need two more snow blowers. Probably small lightweight Toros for long walkways and sidewalks.

My Ford F-250 will be used by a shovel crew. It will consist of two guys paid hourly going around to all of my properties doing the walkways and sidewalks.

Dodge Ram will need another driver for it to do my commercial properties. I'll probably pay them salary but not sure.

New Dakotas will be run by me and my wife plowing residential properties. Each truck will take on between 40 to 60 properties to keep us busy all winter.

The Ford and Ram will be equipped with a GPS tracking system so I can keep my eye on the employees.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

make sure to add trans coolers to the dakotas, and take it nice and slow i burned the trans up @ 30k on ours and only had the plow on it for a year, that was plowing all resi's they are not strong trucks for work.

3. Yeah I used a 2005 Dakota 4 door last year for residential driveways. They are pretty good but you can't use them like a bigger truck. A couple of weeks after I left the company that owned the Dakota my mechanic (their mechanic too) told me their guys were beating the truck hard and blew the tranny... I get tranny coolers really cheap (and pretty much every other auto part) through a buddy that is a manager for a huge parts distributer here.

4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

expand to another truck
    hopefully get some small commercials
    or run 2 for the town
    getting out of residentials hopefully

5. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I'm looking into getting a Horst snow wing for my backhoe and pondering a 5 ton for this summer and if I do get a truck I,ll put a plow and sander on it. There doesn't seem to be too many sanders up here for commercial lots right now but the demand seems to be increasing. I'll stay on commercial and might take on a few residential.

6. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Plans.........
    putting the gas plow truck up for sale
    I already started to work on building the replacement mid 80's short bed 4x4 frame put ton springs under it dana 60 front dana 70 rear. we just waiting on the trans to come back so we can drop the CTD/tans and transfer all at the same time. then we need to have a rear driveline made. then we can set the cab and front clip back onto the frame. toss the bed back on it should be ready for next winter.

May try and pick up extra set of wings just for spares.

This year we picked up 7 E60 pumps that were completely rebuilt at local dealer that was going out of business. Now i just have to set back and wait for the E47 on my truck to die... and had the trans in the one truck rebuilt so it should be good for a few more years.

I may start something else just have to wait and see what pops up cheap....

7. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Currently we do resi,comm plowing and sell bulk products delivered only .. considering dumping the resi's next year acquiring 1 huge commercial lot and also opening a 24 hr supply yard .I will either hire someone to run the supply yard or drivers for the 1 large commercial lot.

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Bring in 2-3000 tonnes of white gold during the summer so i dont have to hear any ******** excuses from my suppliers in the winter.

9. schmol

schmol Senior Member

I don't own my own company for plowing but have the equimpent to do so, might make the jump to self employed and do some commercial arount town, maybe some driveways. If I don't, I will probably start working for another contractor in town.

10. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

Mite get a 2nd plow truck for when the main ones down... got the idea when the plow truck got stuck in a snowbank and had no 4wd. and before that few days when 4wd would work and then it wouldnt work(got that fixed now)

11. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

buy another tractor or two :)

12. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Less residential, more commercial, and no call-ins.

13. M & D LAWN

M & D LAWN Senior Member

Buying or renting a skid steer for the one commercial lot that we don't have a loader or skid steer at.
    Sub contracting out the residentials, nothing worse than working for 14 hours plowing then have to put in another 6-8 doing residentials.

14. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I bought a second front loader last week ( Cat 950 ) so now we wont have to have our (Cat 920) hauled .

15. hvphotog

hvphotog Junior Member

I have had my truck and plow for 3 years and this is the first year i decided to make money with them both plowing.. Enjoy it so next year really going to push and get more commerical starting and advertising campaign and also putting in bids on places i wouldnt mind plowing... right now i do about 20 driveways and make about 1400 per pass which takes me about 6 to 8 hours..

New equipment for next year will be
    Western Pro flow 2 spreader
    small blower
    mid size blower
    fix plow rig on my mason dump and get that up and running
    possibley a load if i get one of the larger accounts i want..

16. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

go from straight blade to some sort of wideout...either blizzard or snoway.

17. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

im gonna change my state lol arizona sounds good lol

18. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

im with ya on that one

19. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

new snoway on the ford...
    should get a salter cuz thats all you can do in central jersey...
    get a route up north so i can make somepayup

20. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

hopefully buying my first plow truck and picking up like 30 res in my area