1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what cb's are you guys using?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'm in the market for 2 cb radios. I saw Cobra makes a remote cb where everything is built right into the head (mic) set. The only thing exposed is the cord and mic. Any one use one? I dont mean a hand held unit.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Never heard of that style? Got a Link?

Were running radio shacks right now
  3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

This is an edit because My original post didnt answer your question.

But they were used a lot by some friends of mine when we went 4 wheeling and they work well in the woods but not so good for distance.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009

FISHERMANXLS Junior Member

Yes, and they are not that bad. the nice thing about them is they don't take up that much room but i did not get that much distance out of it. I don't believe you can peak and tune them, but i have been wrong before.
  5. Brian Young

The main reason for the cb's is last year trying to tell some one where snow goes or just chit/chat was a pita with cell phones and trying to plow. The longest distance would be maybe 100 yards away. Did those Cobra's at least reach that far?
  6. Brian Young

I saw them on ebay. I just typed in cb radio's and scrolled through
  7. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

oh yeah they will work fine at that distance
  8. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

I use cobra29 LTD's

Great range and ability to upgrade them.
  9. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

10. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

me and my buddy both have cobra 29ltd classics. got them peaked and tuned for like 30 bucks and they work great. clear as day and transmit/recieve from some good distances. they are a little price but i found mine brand new in the box on craigslist for 45 dollars, just gotta keep your eye out. only real drawback is their size, they are pretty big
  11. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Using a Uniden 78 (can't think of the letters, and I'm at work). Has Weather band and works quite well. I've got it mated to a Wilson magmount 5000.
  12. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 Senior Member

i have been wondering about getting cb's. we service 3 neighboring towns so how well wood they work? they are about 6 miles from eachother at the most
  13. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I also have a Cobra its been tweeked with and can reach out and touch someone !!!! You should be fine with a cb out of the box and a properly tuned antenna to reach 6 miles. You get what you pay for in cb's also !!!!
  14. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 Senior Member

how do you "tweak" the antennas
  15. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

16. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

If you buy a quality radio you can have the transmit and recieve bumped up usually by 2-3watts more or you could add a linier (spelling) and have lots of power, its like adding an amlifier to your radio !!! Same prinipal as adding an amplifier to your car audio system gets louder and quality is better!!!!!
  17. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

You can go pick up a couple old Nextel phones and turn them on with Boost.. no contract and you get Direct Connect. Beats a CB radio in my opinion. For the price of a good cb radio you can have cell / direct connect service for the winter season.

I couldn't live without mine since we are now using some of the GPS features Nextel offers. No more " you weren't here at 7am "
  18. Turkey

Turkey Member

Uniden, Ranger and Icom are what I run for radios. The cobra your looking at is the 75WXST. Never personally used one but they'll work just fine for what you're doing. I'd suggest a Wilson Lil' Wil magnet antenna, when not in use you can completely disconnect the entire system with nothing left visible on the truck. Another good option would be the handheld Midland 75-822, can be a hand held or use with vehicle adapters similar to cobra.

I wouldn't suggest "tweeking" the radio power or an amplifier. At the distance you'll be using them at these mods will cause the radios to over power each other.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Don't waste your money on cb's.Weather conditions and distance make them crappy.We have been running uhf two way radios for over twenty years.They work great but to tell you the truth we use our cell phones 90percent of the time.Get cell phones with direct connect.Also there are two many jerks on cb's anyway
  20. Turkey

Turkey Member

If both trucks are in the same lot, I'd agree the cell phone would be a PIA. CB's will be fine for your application. I ran CB's with the guys I subbed for a few years back, worked great. We had a company channel everybody used. If you stay away from channels 6 and 19, and pick a channel between 10 and 30 you'll have the best luck. Less than 10 or greater than 30 you'll pick up "splatter" from the adjacent HAM bands. Channel 6 is generally the big radio DX area, and on 19 you'll get all the highway crap.