1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What caused this?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by jbutch83, Jan 19, 2012.

1. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Have 2 1400 lumen soundoff lights on the rear of my truck. Noticed last week that one of the lights had 3 of the 8 LED's out. Emailed soundoff about it, and they sent me the form to return the light. That was Monday of this week. Was out plowing Tuesday night, and all my rear lights quit working, found out that the fuse on the control box had blown. Didn't mess with it anymore that evening. Looked at the light yesterday, and this is what I found. Don't know why or how it happened. Hopefully soundoff will treat me right on this. The one LED that looks like it's burnt is one of the ones that was out. Looks like part of the glass was melted as well.

Soundoff light.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  2. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

looks like she's mounted behind rear wheel , in line with roostertails .Are they waterproof ? If they are check the ground .
    On mine , I siliconed the grommet and wiring harness into the housing, I had them soaked.They're fine now

3. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Lights are actually off set from the rear tires a bit, so they don't see as much run off from the tires. They are waterproof, and all connections are with sealed crimp connections and have heat shrink over them. The light is no good anymore, there is supposed to be a glass cover over the LED themselve, but it has since been melted and broke off.

4. RepoMan1968

this is the one I have . hot and ground only . going on 2 years behind rear wheel for spreader disk pattern

M27859623.jpg

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

John, it looks like they got water in them. The water shorted out the LED's on the bottom, and it looks like the glass lens broke from the water freezing. Do the wires enter on the top or bottom of the housing? I usually throw some silicone on the wire entrance point even if it appears to be sealed well already. I've had the same thing happen to some TIR3 LED's as well, somehow they got water in them, shorted out, and cracked the lens due to the water freezing in them.

6. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

exactly.....it wasn't heat it was water.....as much as sound off says they are waterproof they are not.

7. RepoMan1968

very observant :waving:

8. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Brendan,

Wire comes in the middle of the light. I pulled it off tonight and will send it back to soundoff in the morning. I had noticed last week sometime that 3 of the lower 4 LEDs were not working, although the rest of the LEDs were working. When I ran the light th other night, it worked for a while then everything on the back end of the truck went dead. In the picture, the one LED that looks darker, is one of them that was not working, and now looks like it is actually burnt. Here are some more pics of the light after I took it off tonight. Put on a DDM tuning LED light, one of the 1000 lumen ones, and will see how this one holds up.

light.JPG

light 1.JPG

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If they send you one back, I'd fill that whole spot where the wire comes out of the lighthead with silicone.

10. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

Do people have much luck with silicone for sealing things? I am a boater and would never use it to keep water out of anything. The only thing I ever use use is butyl tape which can be found at your local glass shop. They use it to seal panes of glass on commercial buildings and it never dries or shrinks like silicone. Its the bomb and lasts forever.