1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What can you tell me about 2001 D-max

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by THEGOLDPRO, Oct 18, 2011.

1. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

What can you guys tell me about the 2001 chevy 2500 with the D-max?? Im looking at one right now with 130k on it. Are they good trucks, Do they have the allison trans in it? Good,bad,ugly?
    [​IMG]

2. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

all dmax trucks have the allison, injectors were problematic in the lb7's but they do get the best MPG's. Not terribly expensive (not exactly cheap either lol) to do them if you can yourself though.

3. crete5245

crete5245 Member

Very good motor and transmission. As stated the injectors are on the inside of the valve cover and if they leak, you can not see it till it fills the crankcase up with fuel. You need to change the fuel filter often, as in every 10k miles. A class I took recommended that you change it everytime you change your oil... The other big problem is the front hub bearings, they seem to go out often and not cheap to replace, with a plow on the front they will wear out faster..

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

At those miles, injectors may have been fixed. Check the coolant. On 01's and some 02's, poorly maintained coolant can electrolocize the head gasket. I've had 2 01's do it around 250k each. I've had 6 Dmaxes total and love them. 01 would be the year I'd avoid, unless it was a killer deal. My last 01 I bought with 254k with a bad HG. Paid $3k for the truck. Fixed it, injectors, etc and ended up losing money. I also own a 7.3, 6.0 PSD and 2 Cummins. Of any of them, Dmax still has my #1 pick.

That truck had a plow on it too......look at the valance

5. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Get me the VIN and I can tell you if the injectors were done on it, but they probably have at that mileage and they're usually good to go from there.

6. THEGOLDPRO

vin: 1gchk29151e269233

Also whats the going rate for a truck like this?? They are asking $13,900 at a smaller dealer, I would obviously try and beat them down quite a bit on it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

That's pretty high. Trucks are high right now, and it looks clean, but.........................

8. THEGOLDPRO

Yea i know i cant imagine paying any more then 11,500k for this truck.

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Oh man you are finally looking at a diesel and you're gonna go with a Chevy? I know you run a good business but have you ever considered going with the same truck or even the same color to help establish your "brand"?

10. THEGOLDPRO

Yea i know im all over the road with trucks lol One day i want the entire fleet to be red.

Funny thing is they have a blue dodge just my mine there.
    [​IMG]

11. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

There's actually no record of the injectors being done under warranty, which is strange. I'd still guess that they've been done by now. It did have a new trans put in a 12k, but that doesn't mean much at this point. That was the only major repair other than a valve body before that.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Let us know what your mom finally decides.

13. Grumpydave

Grumpydave Member

Had a '01 Dually 1st gen D-max.. Got 110,000 miles on it and had a head gasket go. Bad head,did both...big bucks...3500 miles later did injectors. More big bucks. GM was filing for bankruptcy at the time so no help there. Loved the truck right til it broke. Now have a V-10 '09 Ford F-350. Wish I could get the Allison in the Ford. Good Luck with whatever you decide. Dave

14. THEGOLDPRO

I might even take a look at this dodge. this one has 100k on it

VIN: 3D7KU28C14G194200
    [​IMG]

15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

My service truck is an 01. I bought it with bad injectors and gave under $5000 for it. Put the injectors in myself for about $1500, and overnight the truck doubled in value... for once.

She is still running stong at almost 207,000 miles.

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Ill sell ya my 99 F250 for $8500. 370k ;-)

17. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I just bought my 02 a couple months ago. I did a ton of research on them before I bought it. Mine has 175K on it and I paid $9K for it. I looked up the vin on mine and from what I can tell the injectors are original. If you go on diesel place you can find a few LB7's that have gone into the 200K with original injectors. I have my fingers crossed on mine. But I am prepared to do the job myself if some go bad. If you do the job yourself it should cost you $1500-$1700. I also found out that all the injectors don't go bad at once. You can find the bad ones and just replace them. The reason most people do them all on the LB7 is because to get to them it is a big job. And they figure replace them all and you don't have to do the job again for awhile. If you do the job yourself you could just do the injectors that go bad. Would save you a ton of money but cost you time down the road if others go bad. Also the allison is a 5 speed not 6. The duramax and allison are a tough combination. But another thing I would pass on is I would never buy a duramax that had any kind of tuners on it unless it was dirt cheap. Some of those tuners can push the allison to hard.

18. JDiepstra

That looks real nice. Is it an 03, 04, or 04.5?

19. THEGOLDPRO

says its an 04

20. JDiepstra

Good. Some of the 03's came with the 47RE trans which you do not want. You can tell if it is an 04 or 04.5 by looking for a cat converter or checking the valve cover sticker. The 04.5 will have the cat and the sticker will say 325 hp. Both years are good.