1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what can u spray on your plow blade to stop snow from sticking

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by zzzman, Dec 13, 2009.

1. zzzman

zzzman Member

i'm sure this has been asked before, but didn't look it up. what can spray on the blade to help from getting a build up of snow stuck to the blade. someone told me to spray pam the cooking spray on it. don't know how true that is.

2. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

magic in a can. I mean fluid film

3. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Everybody here swears by the Fluid Film

There are alot of guys that I have met that have tried all sorts of things such a cooking sprays and such. They work but require repeated reapplication to remain functional...

One thing I do is head to the loca do it yourself car wash. I put the sprayer on the wax application setting and spray my blade with that and don't rinse it....

It works farely well and since I liove right down the road from one - it's not out of my way.

I want to get some fluid film but the only guy that carries it in my AO is about 40 miles South of me. So I have to plan on getting some when I already find myself down there for another reason.......

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I have found that hockey stick wax works good for me. Have to reapply every few storms.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Reviews on FF as a snow repellent are mixed. Best bet would be a heated blade.

I would make the paint is in very good condition. Then I would wax the snot out of it. Follow up with some silicone spray before the storm.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Alot of things work but they ALL require applications many many times
    FF, Pam, Wax

7. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a contractor friend that uses release oil that is used on concreat forms. He brushes it on all his snow stuff, plows, pushers, buckets.

8. BrynBaily

BrynBaily Junior Member
    from Ohio

A buddy of mine has been using diesel fuel. I have been looking for something for my blower shute to keep it from jamming up. All this wet heavy crap falling from the sky lately has been clogging up my junk....heh yeah :laughing:

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I've tried that and it works....but not nearly as good as FF.

10. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Hydro beat me to it. I was gonna say Pam cooking spray, too.:)

11. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

You cna use anyhting thats designed to make a surface slick...FF, cooking spray, car wax...anything works. Problem is you have to reapply ALOT as the plow blade is subject to serious abrasion.

12. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Which is why car wax and Pam are used more than FF. Cheaper.

They Teflon coat pistons, hmmmm. I wonder if they would do 2 blade halves.

A Swain Tech Coated snow plow. Slick. (Haw...:laughing:)

13. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Perhaps should consider Mobil 1 or Equivalent. It helps at startup. Once the rag is soaked in it just store in plastic container and use as req'd I'll report back

14. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

as stated earlier, fluid film should do the trick

15. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Ever see National Lampoons Christmas Vacation? Use that stuff that Clark put on the saucer sled!

16. KC9MDQ

KC9MDQ Member

Oh myy God , that scene was so hilarious !

17. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Thumbs Up Gotta love that movie, watch it every year, day after Thanksgiving!

18. misterbluesky

misterbluesky Junior Member

All 3 of my trucks have older meyer plows with a plastic "shield" cut & glued to front face of the blade. Made from the roll up snow sled poly material yellow in color. Sold in Northern tool & equipment catalog - $50. Works great, no waxing, always there. Makes plow face look like new. :nod: