1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What can I expect?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Grn Mtn, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

At the end of a successful first salting season, my commercial customer had sticker shock about their salting bill. Of course all winter long they had no complaints about the clear parking lot! This year my distributer is trying to get me to use SWP. Its a treated salt and they seem to think I should use about 1/3 less salt.

Last winter I would plow than salt, doing both at the same time worked great cause I would use 11 bags (one fill-up) versus 17-20 (two fill-ups) bags if just salting, and the salt would clear the lot up plus eat any additional snow up to 1".

Regardless of how great this was, I know it will be a hard sell to salt this much again this year, but It was a great add-on and less liability for me knowing the chance someone will slip is less with constant salt.

SOOO, what can I expect? Just how long is the residual effect?