1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What can I expect, 03 Cummins Front End.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Mark13, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm very interested in a truck and it happens to be an 03 dodge 3500 cummins dually. What can I expect for a life out of front end parts with say a 9.2v or power plow on the front? Would 2yrs/ 40-50k be to much to ask?

I've always had ifs chevy's that usually last forever on front end parts so the whole sfa with increased wear on parts is new to me.

Thanks, Mark

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Mark my truck has 75,000 on it. 2 years plowing with a 9.2 V. Had to do the u joints (basically all of them) once so far. That's it.

Watch out for the 03 transmission. The early 03 with the S.O. motor has the 47RE transmission which is not as stong as the 48RE. Granted, you can build it up as strong as you want. In case you did not know, there is a sticker on the valve cover that will tell you the hp and if it says 250 you know it is the SO with the 47RE. Not saying don't buy it, just advising. You will not be disappointed w the truck.

Have any pics or links to the truck? I promise not to by it out from under you!

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It's an ho motor with a 6spd.

Pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    H.O. 5.9L Cummins Diesel

Power Windows, Locks, Cruise, Tilt

Overhead Computer

Sliding Rear Glass

Adjustable Power Pedals

Heated Leather Power Seats with Suede inlaid Ram Emblems

6 spd. Manual Trans.

New Brakes, Rotars, Pads

Fluids Changed in Rear end and seal replaced

All new U Joints & Front Shocks

Block Heater

New Eagle Alloy Wheels & 6 new Cooper ST Tires

PacBrake with onboard compressor and air tools.

Westin Nerf Bars

Line-X Spray In

B&W Turnover

UnderCover Bed Cover

High Pressure AC Switch Replaced

Industrial Injections Phat Shaft Silver 62 Turbo

Down Pipe

Bully Dog PMT

116,000 miles.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

thats a nice truck but its long as hell, its a dually, and its a 6speed? IMO, you couldnt pick a worse truck for plowing. That truck is great for towing cross country, its loaded and setup fpr that.

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good. Fuel pump relocated to the tank yet? Like the rims and tires! What's that on the shifter? Exhaust Brake?

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not really needing the dually but I'll get used to it. But I'm pretty sure I won't mind the 6spd. I get so bored driving an automatic.

Sounds like the fuel pump is still underhood. The pac brake (exhaust brake) is what's on the shifter.

I'm not sure what size the wheels are, not that it really matters. I think they go great with the truck though.

7. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I get bored with an auto too but while plowing there is nothing boring about it! Its up to you, some love it some hate it, Youll be pretty limited to large commercial plowing only though, FYI. Dont forget adding a plow in front adds about 4 more feet of length!

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, it'll take me a while to get used to it but I think I can do it. I'll just have to be aware of where I'm headed so I don't get wedged in somewhere. I'd rather have a srw truck but I guess I could always make it that if I really wanted to.

I guess it's like everything in life. You have to take the good with the bad, and in this case the bad or downside is being a dually.

9. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Its in the vin 8th digit/place if its a 6 its a SO and built eary it could have the SO and if its a C its the HO and all had the 48re. As for the front end The Ball joints have probably already been replaced. Hopeful they went with moogs and you can grease them. How much they asking?

10. BigDave12768

That pedal is real heavy on the Diesels. Get an automatic

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

$18.5k at the moment is the magic number.

Never driven one but driven other stick shifts, all the way from civics to mack R model dumps, never remember a clutch being so stiff it bothered me. Are the dodges an exception and have very stiff clutch pedals?

12. BigDave12768

That pedal is real heavy on the Diesels. Get an automatic. Oh and on a Side note once you buy the Dodge you have to bad mouth all other brands. So do your homework!! Jdiepstra and I can offer you help in this

This is 18900 Dont look bad. Gota plow and has the sport package.
    http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ctd/1051213340.html

[​IMG]

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd rather not buy a truck with a plow on it. Only way I'd do that is if I knew who had the truck before me and what they plowed.

14. BigDave12768

The one I lised could be either a 325Hp 600tq or a 305/555Hp Same deal with Vin if its a 6 its the 305hp and if its a C it was built after 1-1-04 and has 325 HP. 325HP motor has the Different pump and a Converter on it. 305/555tq gets better fuel mileage like 1-2 mpg on average. But 325hp pump has the 3rd injector unit on it and is alot easier and Cheaper to make 500hp out of it. But they can both be made to do 12 sec 1/4 miles

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cV0XJePUitI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cV0XJePUitI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The vin he gave me has a C in it, so it's the HO motor.

16. BigDave12768

Yeah 03 its a 305HP 555tq motor.

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

That's plenty for me, with the bully dog pmt it's already got a bump. I've read you can also get a crazy larry tune for the pmt also with somewhere around a 230hp bump. :D

If things with this truck don't work, I'll probably end up with an lly duramax preferably with a 6spd. Srw, ec/lb truck.

18. BigDave12768

Crazy larry was done awy with. But you can still get a copy of it. You cant get the 230 without some mods also. Plus the 48re are nice but like the DMAX and Ford You add to much to them they will blow. The 48re can handle like 400/hp stock after that you have to do some upgrades. Bigger TQ and VB can get you to 500Hp with out any problems

19. BigDave12768

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm looking for something similar but a long bed. I've got a short bed now and it's great for plowing, but when it comes time to haul stuff I hate the dang thing.

Ideal combo- 04-06 lly duramax, zf6, 3500srw, ec/lb, 4x4, black, under 110k. I'd take an ally also but if I could choose between to identical truck's I'd take a 6spd manual.

The 01-04.5's are lb7 motors, great motors but known for injector failure $$$$. 7yr/200k warranty but I'd rather now worry about my injectors failing and hoping they fail under warranty.