1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What can I add the back to put more weight in.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PremierLand, May 10, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I need to add more capicaty to the rear end so I can haul like 3 yards of dirt without sagging. What can I add. I dont want timbrens for the rear because IMO its not the right way for the back. However, im up between adding a leaf or two, or should I add air bags? Air bags are real expensive where leafs arnt as expensive.

anyway, what would be better, leafs or air bags? I have about 2 yards in the back right now and im sagging pretty bad.

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You're really at about the limit of the truck, remember what the weight of 2 yards of fill weighs...
    Springs will stiffin the ride all the time unless you use booster springs (like camper package stuff) that only contact when a certain amount of weight is added. If you want a smooth ride Air bags are the way to go, but again remember the GVWR. You have to be able to stop the load you're carrying.

3. PremierLand

from detroit

Well I know im at my weight limit right now because im sagging pretty bad. I do need new brakes in back, so I think im going to get some drilled slotted rotors and some good pads, that should help a little with keeping them cool under a load. I think my best bet is to ad a leaf. I dont really care about the ride as far if its still or smooth.

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

The thing you have to remember is like Justme stated you can add springs, airbags or timbrens to stop the sagging, but it is the other components that you cannot change they will suffer(breaks, axels, transmissions, etc..). Also you have to watch your GVWR... no matter what you do to beef up the suspension you truck can only legally carry so much weight, and a 2500HD will always be a 2500HD no matter what you do to the suspension in the eyes of the law.

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Dont get cross drilled. Actually I dont even think they make em. With 3 yards of dirt in the bed you will be illegal. Think tire capacities also. AIr bags are the best set up. With a dump trailer you would be safer, you could actually be legal, better ride ect. and you wouldnt be stuck trying to shovel dirt outa the bed of a truck. Or just have the dirt delivered if its a small occuring deal. If you need to haul lotsa dirt on a reg basis dont use a single wheel PU truck with a reg bed.

6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

air bags all theway i love them

7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Justme---Good response I agree I hate to see this kid ruin his new truck.

Mark--If you need that much dirt on one job site have it delivered and charge it to the customer.In my 3/4 I only put 1.5 yards of dirt at a time.

8. PremierLand

from detroit

well I dont really haul that much dirt around on regular basis, like once every 2 weeks or so. Only reason I had it in my bed was because it was left over from a sod job and I didnt want to have to make 3 trips to the dump site and pay $15 each time + time for my guy. So I just put it all in and took it their asap. But when I do carry dirt its only like 1 yard atta time and once in a while im over that. I'd like to get a dump trailer, but I'd rather have a dump insert so I can carry my landscape trailer with me.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

A Dump insert is a good option- as is a dump lift under the bed, but you will STILL be limited by weight capacity. The truck is designed for a given load, period. It can be "band-aided" for minor excess but not major excess. 3 yards of dirt is a 1 ton trucks's domain. Overloading your truck (which you are so proud of) is only going to endanger yourself, endanger others on the road around you, and damage your truck. It is illegal and if you are pulled over by a DOT cop overloaded (which is based on the trucks registered GVWR) it is a major fine.

Remember with a dump insert you are adding the weight of the insert (usually more than an under body lift) which decreases the payload capacity of the truck.

Spend the extra $15.00 per trip- it's cheaper in the long run and if necessary add the extra expense to the bill for the job. Factor in all your expenses when you bid/quote- this limit on capacity of hauling is one of those expenses.

BTW with reguard to the brakes- it not just keeping them cool under load- it's that they are sized for the weight capacity of the truck. My Ram has 2.5 inch rear drums- the 3500's have 3.5 inchers. 1/3rd more surface! check out the difference in rotor diameter and thickness and caliper size from a 3/4 ton truck (any make) to a 1 ton- there is a substantial difference. It's about having enough surface area to stop the load.

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

a 2500HD carys the old 1 ton weight ratings. But he will still be over if he is running around with 3 yards of dirt. Thats like 4500#'s in the bed. Dump beds add weight to your truck and will FBAR your bed. A dump inset adds weight. If you dont mind being illegal then go for it. More than likely you will never get caught, or have an accident. Why do you still want to be able to cary your landscape trailer? You going to fill the bed with dirt and then tow a trailer???

Air bags are the best option but I still wouldnt do what you are proposing to do but thats just me.

Do it right or dont do it at all IMO but thats just the way I operate. I'm anal

11. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

This thread is starting to sound familiar....hmmmm what was it.... an F250 to an f550 or something like that... (Click Here for thread )

People stated the same arguments, and in the end the person did what he wanted to, and still felt it would be alright to be overloaded...

I guess that is all we can do is warn them and the tell them we told you so when something goes wrong.

12. PremierLand

from detroit

well i know its wrong to overload, but sometimes you just have to, I dont want to spend an extra hour just so Im not over loaded. I rather just do it all in one shot, and its not like its an every day occurance.

13. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i have a thread on here with pics of my air bags i love them and have them on three trucks including my 76 k20 wich carrys a flatbed vbox sander and two tons of salt/sand

14. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

well i couldn't find the thread so here is ome pics the first is a pic of theair bag it only has 5lbs. in it now

airbags 005.jpg

15. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

here is the onboard air compressor i love it on my salt truck i dont have a onboard system but i just leave it pumped um to about 80psig all winter
    but my other trucks that we haul bagged icemelt and bobcat trailers with they are great i fill them up when i pickup the bobcat and trailer and lower it down afterwords

airbags 004.jpg

16. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

here is a side view with 5psig in the air bags

airbags 007.jpg

17. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

and here is with 60psig the max is 100. the start of a large storm i fill up my 100gallon deisel tank put about 20 bags of potassium and hook up the bobcat on the trailer and i will promise you when i fill up the bags to about 75-80psig the truck doesn't even sag

airbags 008.jpg

18. PremierLand

from detroit

thats awesome. I think im going to get air bags.im just worried about them leaking air

19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Actually you DO have the choice, you just said you did. overload, or spend an extra hour. that is the choice.

All the warnings have been said and you are going to do what ever you wanted to do in the first place, so best of luck with it.
    just remember overloading is overloading, it doesn't matter that the rear end does not sag with 3000 lbs in the bed because you have airbags....people tend to forget they are overloading (or don't realize when they are overloading) once they install bags or boosters. My chevy dump will take 4 tons level in the bed.... it's still overloaded.(registered for 10K capable of 13K)

20. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

my oldest pair is from 1997 and a pair i put on in 02 and this pair so far i have not had any problems i think the ones people have problems with are the style that go inside the front coil springs. i love them and stand by air ride 100% on the product my 97 also has a onboard compressor and it is still working great