1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What can be done about these types of people !!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SNOWPIMP, Dec 28, 2003.

?

What do do with these types of plowers??

1. Shug your shoulders and make like you never meet them!

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. Get the word out to other local plowers!

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Put water in the pumps and cut all their HYD lines!

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. Go to any and all there accounts and underbid them just to reek havoc in there lives but don't do th

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

OK maybe Scabs isn't the best way to describe these types of plowers maybe someone has a better name for them! It hasn't happened to me this year because I now only do Sub work But..... It used to be when I contracted my own drives and lots that someone would always come along and do them for half my prices leaving me sitting all winter hungry! I tracked down one of the thief's once to find that he was a company employee that took the truck home! His loss was I knew his boss and both of them having the same first name I called him and said "Hey JOE WTH are you messing with all my hotels for and why are you doing them for half my fee I couldn't even pay a driver for the price you are stealing them at!" He said "I have way to many city Jobs to be messing with your Hotels!" I said "Well the drivers name was Joe and I seen your truck leaving as I came to Plow my lot as scheduled"

That took care of one guy in a free truck with free gas, free insurance, and no overhead! That driver got a serious reaming and never bothered any of my accounts again! But I have lost a lot of Jobs due to the same type of people and you don't always get lucky enough to find who the guy is that is screwing his boss and you at the same time!

I think it would be nice to see an almost union of types to help us with the plows that know what to do with them get paid! At the same time I would like to see more cooperation between plowers in an area! I frequently give away jobs without even bidding them or I bid and sign them and then give them away because they aren't in an area I want to travel to! But then I will see people I just gave a lot to in my home area when I ask why didn't you give me this one they usually reply I'll sub it to you for 30hr! I then give them the look like do you think I am your fool of the day and ask "what are you getting for it" only to get a response of "that doesn't matter I'm not telling you but I am offering you 30hr"

Of course I never give another account out to someone like that again! But what in the world drives some people to be So Greedy when we could all make more money faster working together???

2. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Sell your service to your clients, not your price. Saving a few bucks is not worth it if the plow does not show up or does a lousy job.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

do you have a signed contract
    for your sites
    john

4. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

Yes I did but who wants to be the guy that sues his clients because of competition!

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

If you have a signed contract for a property you are contractually responsible to plow it. If an injury were to occur and your contract was still in force you could be liable. You may want to look into that aspect

6. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

i just got my first plow and i am going in bussness plowing
    i have a cabinet bussness and when i started the same thing happened someone would come alone and underbid me. so i did a couple of things first i went out and met my compitition and became frendly with them since then i never ran into that problem but we still have our frendly scab that is doing it for a little extra money well i egucate him on how much he can really make doing this and they try to go on there own eather way that works becouse he realolizes that it is harder than he thought and never messes with my stuff again or he makes it and his pricing is the same as mine and that is ok

7. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Mmmm, can you taste the irony?
    hehe

-Jer

8. rewoodworking

:D :D yes in deed

9. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Glad you had a sense of humor about that.
    I live in huntington, how 'bout you?

-Jer

10. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

And they wonder why it happens to them....... :eek:

11. rewoodworking

weasthampton beach