1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What brand saddle tool box???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by merrimacmill, Nov 25, 2007.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'm looking to get a saddle tool box for my truck. I would use the mounts made by Back Rack so I wouldn't need to drill my bed out. But I just need to know peoples experience with different brands.

Its seems to me that Weatherguard is the best quality, but also is the most expensive. at around 600-700 dollars.

I was also looking at the Jobox brand. But I don't like the system of latching as much on those.

Does anyone have a black powdercoated one? This is what I would want since my truck is black and I'm not to into the shiny aluminum thing and am just wondering how they hold up?

Thanks for any help.

-Collin

2. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

i got a delta low profile box. get low profile so it doesnt stick up alot with the extra height from the back rack bars

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

boxes

adrian steel make's some very good boxes they are designed to clamp on to the bed sides .

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

They look nice, but it doesn't appear they make a black powdercoated model. Thanks for the info though

5. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

try UWS (united welding service) they sell them down at the trailer shop across from Moore GMC in danvers.... they have either black or polished. pretty reasonable and really durable... i mean i can stand myself up on it and it doesnt bow or anything..........

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2007
  6. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

A friend of mine and I bought the black powdercoat UWS boxes 2 years ago at the same time. After a year mine started peeling and his is also starting to peel off now. I have also seen many others the same way. My father bought a weatherguard 12 years ago and has had it on 3 trucks now. It also seems alot more secure. I guess all I am saying is they are worth the money. Remember, you get what you pay for.

7. big bird

big bird Senior Member

this is the truth about you get what you pay for:nono:

8. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Weatherguard has a very nice warranty too. It is well worth the money. Save for awhile if you can't afford it now. It'll be worth the wait. I tried a cheap box +/- $300 and it was broken into a every single thing stolen out of it. Yep, it was locked. Seems they made a universal key, even though they swore up and down they didn't when I was looking to get $1500 worth of tools replaced.

9. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

naturally any painted aluminum or ss is gonna peel with time

10. Sawdust Bob

Sawdust Bob Junior Member
    from Il

Bought a black Weather Guard tool box in 2003. It still looks like the day it was new! Never garaged.purplebou

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I agree, weatherguard is the best, one of my customers owns a rather large foundation company and all his trucks have the black powdercoated weatherguard saddle boxes and full length bed rail boxes...all look brand new and he speaks VERY highly of them as they are heavily used everyday! That will be my choice for a box when the one i have is beat up enough and i don't feel like caring for it anymore!!