1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Brand of Snowplow to Buy???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by smokinjoe, Feb 19, 2003.

1. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Junior Member

Have the truck, now wanted to get some ideas from the experts on what type of plow to buy? I've looked at some of the info on the Meyer,Western,Boss.

Tell me what you guys like and are using out there!

Thanks in advance!!

northwest ohio

Have a 2000, Dodge Cummins Diesel,2500 HD,4x4,LB,limited slip,tow package

:) :) :)
  2. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Funny you mentioned those RED plows and not the YELLOW Fisher that is easier to be seen at night by oncoming motorists, has an excellent headgear design, and the famous bottom trip-edge that other makers copy.
  3. bgrover

bgrover Member

Ok Roger thems fightn words!:D :D Just kidding!

If you search through the archives you will find several threads on the subject. The summary is get the plow that has the best dealers for your area.

I purchased a Boss 7.5' trip-edge. I love it. I must also add, to be honest, that I don't plow for a living. The only thing I plow is my drive (1/5 mile long) that drifts really bad. In this last storm I also plowed my 2 neightbor's drives since they didn't have anything that would move our 30" of snow.

What sold me on the Boss was the mounting system. I liked the fact that when I take the plow off the only thing left behind is the frame brackets. I also like the fact that with some forethought you can mount the plow with 1 person in under a minute. The only mounting issue I've had is getting the truck lined up with the plow properly. I try to have my plow on dolly's in which case it is a snap to roll the plow right into position. If not I get my sister to drive the truck up while I direct. Once in position you plug 2 cables in and flip a switch and it mounts itself.

Anyhow, that's my thoughts.
  4. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Smokinjoe, what type pf plowing are you planning to do? Res or Commercial. How much snow do you get in an average winter? What type of truck (1/2 ton, 3/4 ton etc.) are you mounting it on. We need this info to give you a good answer on what brand and size/type of plow to get.
  5. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

When choosing a new plow always go with the distributor who seems knowledgable in the product he is selling and has a good supply of parts on hand. Nothing worse than breaking something and you can't plow until he gets his order in from the manufacturer. Does not matter who the plow manufacturer is, but if there is no product support then the plow is worthless.
  6. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

hey man. you should go with the Fisher series plows. They are the most reliable and as roger said they are YELLOW!!!
  7. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I would take a good look at the forum that is called, Finally, got A picture of my rig and you will see the whole line of plows. i beleive there are even some dodge cummins rigs with plows on there too. Might wanna check that out. Anyway, If I were you and doing residentials, i would get a Western, Fisher, or Boss 8 1/2' V plow. I fyou are doing mostly commericals, i would go with the same brands but with a 9 1/2' plow. another plow to consider would be a Blizzard 810. It's just as good as a V plow if not better. Good Luck:D
  8. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I like fisher
  9. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I'd put an 8.5 Western V plow or a Boss 9.2 V plow on that truck.
  10. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

We have an 8.5 Boss straight blade on our 3/4 ton pickup, and we love it. But if you are doing commercial accounts, do get some kind of box plow, V-blade, or the Blizzard extandable blade. We just started getting into commercial accounts a couple of years ago, and discovered quickly that straight blades are not the thing for parking lots. They are ok for driveways, but I would still recommend at least wings - it will speed you up so much.

Before buying our Boss, we looked around a lot at the different kinds of blades out there. Disclaimer: following is personal opinion, and not everyone will agree, but here goes:
    Meyer - pieces of **** not worth considering (sorry to the Meyer fans); the only reason there are so many out there is that they advertise a lot and are cheaper than dirt - but you get what you pay for.
    Western - just slightly better than Meyer; our friend who is a welder makes most of his money all winter repairing Western plows.
    Fisher - a good choice; this gets down to the debate over whether you like the bottom trip or whole blade trip - everyone has a different opinion on that. We have an old 9' straight blade that we have been running on either a Blazer or Bronco for 7 years - it came used on an old pickup we bought, and it is still going strong. It is the old big joystick control which is more fatiguing to operate all day than the new controls they have, but this old blade is bulletproof.
    Boss - excellent product - built really strong, easy to operate, easy to mount. We have been using ours for 5 years and have had NO problems with it at all. It works every time. When we bought it, we were still in the "straight blade" mindset. But we did put wings on it, making it 10' with some scoop - really speeds things up. Also for straight blades to be more productive, check out Turkey Wings. We also have a Boss V-blade on our skid steer. It was a 7.5' blade, but we took the blade from an old junk plow, cut it in half, and welded the pieces onto the ends of the Boss, plus added some metal to make it taller, and beefed up the frame, etc. so now we have an 11.5' V-blade, and man can it move some snow! Especially when we have snow 6" or more, the increased efficiency is really noticeable.
    Blizzard - looks like a really great idea, and we are seriously looking into buying one. We just got a local dealer who will give service :) (looking forward to working with you Howard - I will set up our demo soon!)
    Sno-Way - we have a 7 .5' on our Dodge Durango. It is pretty light duty, but we decided the family car had to pay its way too. Sno-Way makes a lot of other products which I cannot comment on. But the lexon blade is light, so the down-pressure is nice, especially for back-dragging away from garages. But be sure to buy the light bar - the idea that your headlights will shine through the lexon blade looks good on paper, but in reality, well not so great, and snow DOES stick to the blade, blocking your headlights. A couple of things I don't like about it is because the lexon is made to roll the snow off instead of sticking to the blade, it sticks just long enough for me to back onto where I already plowed, then it drops snowballs. GRRR! Also, I don't like the controller. First, you have to do a little thumb dance around all the buttons to turn it on. This is supposed to be a safety feature, but just give me an on/off button please. Also, I think it was probably designed for a man's larger hands, it is a little awkward to hold. Next season, this rig will be our backup only, so we can keep going if one of our other rigs breaks down. Last season, in the 3/4 ton Ford with the 8.5 Boss and wings, I was averaging 3 minutes per driveway (we have a lot of driveways very close together) and this year in the Durango with the 7.5' blade, no wings, I can't get faster than 6 minutes. So next season I am back in a heavier duty truck with a bigger plow, probably a Dodge 3/4 ton with a Blizzard 8-10.

I think the advice given above about buying the plow with good dealer support is an excellent idea. That was another reason we went with the Boss plow. We spent a lot of time in Denver visiting the different dealers, and you would be surprised at how we were treated. They were either rude to us, or just sold the plows as a side line, and no one knew anything about them. Most did not even have a display model - you could go back into the warehouse and look at them in the crate at some of the places. But the Boss dealer was very knowledgeable, helpful, and had the different models there to show us. Another plug for Boss - the maintenance superintendent of the school district here had Western plows and was spending all winter making repairs on them, then he switched to Boss the same year we bought ours, and he loves them. Hey, Howard, there's someone you should get in touch with to show the Blizzard plows to. Summit School district, ask for Mike.
  11. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I personally like the fisher plows best, but like others have said, your best bet is to find the right dealer first, then decide on a plow they sell. And service....
  12. 02 F550

02 F550 Junior Member

i have 2 fishers 1 on my 97 no broken parts as far as blade or frame, but the damn hydraulics freeze i have the minus like 50* stuff in there to went through to pumpm to motors valves get stuck. but now they have a whole new pump and motor design oh ya its the minute mountII looks ok. my 550 has the m/c 9ft plow that is one rugged plow 3/4 thick steal, 1300lbs. also i like that plow a lot no problems yet. also i have the new fish stick controller thats a great lil gadget for 60 extra bucks. no one has the best plow but fisher has a good one. oh ya i have hit some man holes pretty hard and no problems good luck
  13. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Junior Member

Thanks guys for the replies!!

:) :) :)
  14. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Check out the Fisher Minute Mount 2. Very heavy duty, and a real pleasure to mount and dismount.
  15. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

Smokin Joe
    I am in Oregon right outside Toledo and I buy alot of fisher plows from Abco in toledo so if you are interested in a fisher PM me and I can get you a big discount on one.