1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What brand of salter is the best to buy ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SnowPro 24/7, Nov 26, 2010.

1. SnowPro 24/7

SnowPro 24/7 Junior Member

looking to buy a 1.9 yrd salter /sander what would be the brand to go with ??
  2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would say a Salt Dogg SPE2000 would be a decent unit. They have been out for about 5 years now and I haven't heard much bad about them vs a standard gas v box that will rust and the electric has less issues than gas.
  3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Whats your budget? Looking for new or used?
    As Metro said the electric V-box is the way to go. Personally I was leery of them but gave it a try. Less moving parts, no freezing you butt off re-fueling, hit the switch and go. Had absolutely no issues at all. Ran dual batteries and had a spare alternator just in case.
  4. jmullins6987

jmullins6987 Junior Member

sno-way dealer online has a 8ft. stainless for $4699 and a 9 ft. mild steel for $4799 both with free shipping.
  5. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Gas or electric?
  6. KCD Snow Pro

KCD Snow Pro Member
    from IL.

V-Box Input

Electric is the way to go. We've run the hell out of an SHPE 1500 Salt Dogg in a one ton single wheel for three years and have been very happy with it. We've gone so far as to plow with it loaded in relief scenarios when another truck broke down more than once. I think I heard that Ohiogreenworks suffered a crack in the poly hopper body but am not sure how. We pounded ours and no problems. There was a controller bug last year but as I understand it, it's been isolated and fixed. We NEVER had ANY problems with our unit and think that you'll be very happy with an SHPE 2000 if you take care of it.

Good Luck!

:waving: xysport --Getn ready to spank old man winter's @ss! :nod:
  7. LaPlante's

LaPlante's Junior Member

I've only ran gas V box downeasters with no problems. I cant comment on electric because I never used one
  8. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Most folks recommend a bed chain for sanding rather than an auger. I am ordering a Buyers SS with bed chain and dual electric motors.
  10. Stan

Stan Senior Member

If you dont mind me asking what was the price tag?
  11. jmullins6987

8th is electric 9th is gas
  12. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Great price. Does this dealer have a lot of inventory? Curious to know the dealer/location? Is it a 12" or 24" removable or stationary chute?
  13. jmullins6987

Dealer is in Bridgeport ct usually has a large inventory on hand both prices include a removable 16" chute
  14. SnowPro 24/7

SnowPro 24/7 Junior Member

thanks guys think im going to go look at the stainless / electric and a couple of the suggestions u guys had
  15. jmullins6987

yeah the guy in bridgeport with sno-way name is jeff his number is 203-333-0103
  16. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Let me know how you like the buyers
  17. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Go electric

I use several SnowEx spreaders and they have a 7550 that is 1.4 yards or an 8500 that is two yards. Either of these two spreaders will work well for you. We've been running their spreaders for six seasons and they are dependable and the all electric is great.

Lower maintenance costs due to no chains, belts, motors, etc. Good luck.
  18. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Wayne, we use and are extremely happy with Snow Ex.
    We run a 3000, 8000 and 8500.
    Just due to timing, it always seemed to work out that we needed a larger size for the route that was planned for the salters (extra last minute customers) so we added wood sides to extend them.
    We have a 3000 that stock holds 0.6, but with sides now holds 1.25 (if you level it off and pack it. The 8000 stock is 1.5, but with the extension it is 2+......... Wood sides for the 8000 cost $30.00 plus bolts and 30 minutes time.