1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What brand of plow to buy?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sgpmi10, Nov 10, 2012.

1. sgpmi10

sgpmi10 Junior Member
    from Wall NJ

im looking either to buy a boss plow, western plow, or fisher? dont know what brand to buy. im going to be plowing decent size parking lots and driveways.
  2. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Your in the Storm Pictures forum.
  3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

u are in the wrong section but it kinda preferance i run fisher love them but boss and western are great plows also v plow would be the way to go
  4. ultimatelawns

ultimatelawns Member

Boss are worth every penny and then some.
  5. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

All three are good brands. Main questions should be:

1. What brand does your best and closest dealer handle? Does he stock a lot of parts, and can you reach him at 2am when your controller goes down or a solenoid burns up?

2. Do you want trip edge or full trip?

3. Do you want chain lift or linkage?
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What he said. Question #1 is most important

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

What those guys said, but YOU should have spare parts. Controller, coil, valve, hoses, and solenoid. $600 sitting on the shelf is MORE than worth it at 3am, atleast to me it is. But I have spare trucks and plows too:D
  8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go snowdogg, built better, less expensive, reliable, great support, and stainless :)
  9. eatonpaving

eatonpaving PlowSite.com Addict

same here....snowdogg s the way to go....
  10. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

I would buy a red one!
  11. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Western the best
  12. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

Not knocking SnowDogg, cause I don't really know..but I was pricing plows for my half ton, and my dealer who is a snowDogg dealer did everything he could to talk me out of one...he said you get what you pay for...
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's a good dealer
  14. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

FISHER all day long!!!
  15. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Haven't had one complaint about my Fishers. Never had anything else but Fisher, except a Meyer on a 92 Dodge...
  16. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

First question from us in the peanut gallery should be what vehicle are you running?

1/2 ton I would look at Blizzard, Western HTS or SnowDogg. All make a plow specific to the 1/2 ton.
    Second, What are you looking to plow? Self and a few family members, Residential, light commercial or commercial?

Personal experience... I was looking at residential / light commercial... went with a SnowDogg MD 75 as I started out plowing with a Mountaineer. Moved it over to my 04 Dodge 1500. I'm on year 3 without an issue. If I had to buy today it would be a SnowDogg HD75 or the Western HTS. Don't overlook Snoway either.

Understand the dealer wants to make money and there's likely more margin (profit) in selling you a Boss or Meyer vs Snowdogg... Mine has been solid and the support is great. Do your own research based on what you drive and what you want to do with it.. Ask questions in the specific forums and you will get the answer.. Look at the mount systems and factor in your bank account...

Good luck and let us know what you get...

17. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Well said

18. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

Stay away from snow dogg anything. it is exactly what you are paying for. Bought a brand new boss spreader a year ago it is still running strong spent about 300 more than a buddy and he is already replacing motor. Also his plow has not seen the 14 years of large commercial abuse my boss has and it is already falling apart
  19. eatonpaving

eatonpaving PlowSite.com Addict

owned my spreader 3 years now and not one problem at all, i installed my ex80 and i put it together, built way better than a boss and plows twice as good as any plow i have had, been plowing almost 30 years, have had every plow made...i still have 2 westerns and one fisher and by far the snowdogg is the best i have had....grease fittings on all the pivot points, love the plow jack, my rt3 was harder to hook up than my snowdogg and it has no electrical help at all.. love my spreader and i have had western,fisher,and central hydros, but never again, looking at the new 4 yard now for my dump....
  20. zplows

zplows Junior Member
    from Medina

Just get a Meyer plow there the best in The industry!