1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What brand ice melt do you use?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Patrick34, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Patrick34

Patrick34 Senior Member

What brand ice melt do you use (for walks)? I have tried Ice Devil, Tiger Melt, Avalanche, Spring Valley Professional Ice Melter, and Landscapers Choice. My past experience does not really tell me there is much difference in performance. We purchase 1 entire semi-truck each November (20 pallets). I am trying to figure out why I should just not purchase the least expensive type. I know there are different melting temperature points, but 99% of the time in normal conditions, we apply material and it works. In all reality, does it really make a difference?

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I use Ice Attack

3. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

I love these.

Buy the cheapest one available because you are basically buying 90-99% rock salt with a little additional foo foo dust added to give it that colorful name.

Or you could save a lot of money and just buy a good ole bag of rock salt.

4. WINTERGROUP

WINTERGROUP Member

Ice Melt

We Use Lesco 2, Contains No Salt

5. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

Yea.........no rock salt.

But, you think potassium chloride is the cat's meow? For the price you are paying for the product from Lesco, you can buy calcium or mag. But, since you like potassium, then you might as well get rock salt.

Oh, I forgot.......it has about 1% mag chloride. If that makes all the difference in the world.

6. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I use rock salt mainly.Sometimes if I get a good deal I buy Road runner,Jiffy melt and winter melt for walks.

RCGM
    Brad

7. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

I apply that the client wants so if that means I buy potassium then so be, do not care what the cost is thats why god made mark up!! I hope you dssxxxx do same or do you lie to customers and tell them that your are applyin what they want and hope they do not find out your using what they do not want.

8. draffinc

draffinc Member

we apply magic treated salt and also use caliber n1000 pre treatments to our sidewalks .Both products work well. Have not had any issues and our clients (property managers) love the results. just a suggestion.

9. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

We do not apply any materials. We distribute throughout the Northeast and supply what the dealer/customer wants. But we always give them the correct info on the products that they request. Usually if there is some fancy name associated, then it is primarily sodium, or in the case of Lesco, potassium.