1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What brand and size dump trailer do you use?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowman789, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Snowman789

Snowman789 Junior Member

Hi I am wondering what brand and sizes you guess use to haul snow or do you hire it out or what's you solution any help is appreciated!
  2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have a DooLittle Master Dump - 8214 - I can give you my opionin on that trailer only.

82" Wide x 14' Long - Good unit thus far - purchased new in 2013 and it has been about the most profitable thing that I have spent money on IMO. I had a tire blow apart on the first week of ownership with about 1 ton of stone in it, called DooLittle, they UPS'ed me a brand new tire and rim free of charge. I was expecting the usual "your on your own", but they stepped up.

I recommend that you only look at models with scissor lift style dumping hydraulics. I have not owned a dual ram dump trailer, but I have loaded a guy before with a brand new one (brand name fails me at this time) and he had me only load the back of the trailer with clay as he said that it just won't lift a full trailer of clay. I have only had one time that I have loaded my DooLittle that I needed to help the lift off of the stops with a home bar, then it went from there. Trailer was extremely overload with wet clay though.

As for hauling snow, I hauled snow with it for a local guy here last year one and only time I have hauled snow in it. It was a small lot, 30 seconds from my shop, he was in a pinch as he was suppose to have it out by end of day.

Couple of things. Outside air temp was around 0F outside, Trailer was in my warm shop previous to hauling snow... BAD idea. I wish he would have told me the day before that he needed my help as I would have parked it outside overnight. The first load stuck so bad, I ended up pulling the snow out of the box with my mini excavator. PITA.

If it was not a 30 second drive, or a small lot I personally would call a guy with a bigger truck. These things just don't carry the volume of a tandem or a semi. It was a ton of trips for such a small lot and I had it spilling over the side boards. It is also slow when you are trying to hot lap loads. Tandems and Semis with wet kits that have live hydro can dump so much faster than a electric over hyrdo it is not even funny. Not to mention getting out to open and close doors. Just does not seem like a good system for a lot of snow.

Sorry for the long post, but these dump trailers cost quite a few pennies, and if hauling snow is the only thing that you are going to do with them, I would not waste your money IMO.
  3. Easy Outs

Easy Outs Member

I have a 7x12 Hawke. It's also a scissor lift. I hope I don't have to use if for hauling snow. It's great for occasional trips but they aren't convenient to drive around in bad weather.
  4. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

16ft cam superline 8 ton gvw. Have had 9.3 ton of broken up foundation multiple times never has an issue dumping