1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Boss 7.5' ?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Northman, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Never owned a boss plow and dont know which model this is I am looking at to get. Told the guy I wanted it.

Reminds me of a modern version of my northman from early 80's. I have only had northman and meyer and didnt want another meyer if I could help it.
    Was looking at boss, western, meyer, hiniker, sno-way.

Any help on model and how to's or things to watch for?

bossplow.jpg

bossplow2.jpg

2. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Looks like mine. Standard Duty RT3 Smart Hitch. Keep good grounds, keep connectors clean, water/ice free, and lubed; good hydraulic fluid and should give many years of excellent service.

3. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Closest dealer for boss shows 45mins south of me. What is common items and fluid type to keep on hand? Just ideas?

Any good known spots online to buy too? Any spots for service manual and IPL's etc?

I kept motors, springs, sam blue fluid for meyer, arm, plow bushing pins, etc on hand for meyer. Learned the hard way over the years.

4. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Noticed that connector nearest in pic with BLACK wiring. Sure seems like they would come off easy = unplugged. Anything to make it stay for sure? Some kind of clip or?

5. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I use Boss fluid, changed yearly. Probably overkill, but cheap insurance. I have a Boss emergency kit with spare hoses, relay, spring, and not sure what else. Never needed it. I did have a controller die, it was 6-8 years old maybe? Also had one pin break on plow side connector, that is a fairly common thing. The connectors are pretty tight and shouldn't unplug on their own. I did have a problem with ice getting into mine but I attribute that to the poor mounting location, was too low. I've mounted it higher in bumper opening on my new truck.

6. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thank you for info. I found a bunch of manuals online to help learn too.

You see the connector on lower right in pic on drivers side. To low your saying?

Also I noticed the Standard now on Boss site has 3 springs. This one has 4 springs across. Just a change?

7. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Plug in that picture looks a little higher than where I had it on my old truck. I had it in same spot on that truck for 5 years or so and it only gave me trouble last year. But. It wasn't much fun messing around with it in the middle of a storm.

8. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I've also learned Boss setups are pretty sensitive to the truck/plow height alignment for easy on/off. Mounting/removing became much easier after I had my driveway paved.

9. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

I noticed that when owner was showing me how to hook it up. I have gravel out in parking and cement inside barn/shop. So may have to take on/off inside if not in way.

What happens if that power assist feature hooking up isnt working. Any way to manual hook up like I am used to in past?

10. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Is this the recommended fluid?

Is there a aftermarket suitable in a pinch? Like I used the Sam stuff in the meyer and another brand in the northman. In middle of winter and line bust etc and oem not easily to get.

[​IMG]

11. I mount my electrical connections on top of the bumper on the driver side where its easy to reach them and they are not flopping around in the breeze when not connected. My last Standard Duty Boss straight blade came with four trip springs in the box so I mounted it. The electric plugs have never come apart for me even with plenty of dielectric grease slopped on them. A broken off headlight bulb filament is the only problem I have ever had with it.

12. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Finally got it home and in the barn Monday. It is a RT3

So how do I go about getting this thing level to check fluid?

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Looked at the owners manual yet?

14. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Nope, but got it downloaded I think.

15. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Hook it up to the truck.

16. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks. I read manual briefly too. Now I know why I wasnt seeing anything unhooked. Least guessing why.

Guess I need to find a place online to buy boss fluid etc. Only plow dealer I see is about 40mins away it appears. Suggestions for boss fluid + parts etc online?

17. dieselss

You could use the blue S.A M. Fluid

18. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

I got that left over from the meyer fluid change last year.

So ok to mix IF boss red hydraulic fluid is in the plow now?

19. dieselss

No. Well only in a pinch. If your using Sam fluid, flush the whole system, if your sticking with boss fluid, flush it but you don't have to be perfect in getting it ALL out

20. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

For parts for a Boss I always call Marquette automotive on the phone. They can ship to you and are very helpful. My local dealer isn't so hot.