1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what battery?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dshirk21, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Dshirk21

Dshirk21 Junior Member
    from ohio

i don't know what battery to get for my 03 ram 2500..would it be better to go with an optima or i heard something about a pro comp Off-Road (Deep Cycle) Battery....or maybe another one i just don't know and don't want to waste money i don't have on a bad battery.
  2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

why fix what aint broke! i run a stock replacement battery in my truck and it works just fine. got 5 years on the original one it died this summer and just put a interstate replacement in same cca as original
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

4. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Believe it or not but i read some reviews on like 15 batt's and wal-mart's and autozone tested higher than diehard, interstate, and Motorcrap.
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

go with an optima red or yellow
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have had a 900 cca AutoZone 3 year free replacement battery($75) in my truck for the last 4 YEARS! It's about dead but it has gone 4 years and never let me down. It's been discharged right to no start about 3 times and it has recovered to plow another 2 years. Just because it cost's big bucks don't assume it will last any longer if you go with gell cells. The big thing is to have a big output alternator to keep it on the plus side of the equation.
  7. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

mick, thats right,, a good alternaotor is the most important,i put a high out put in my old 85, but now my 96 with a serpintine belt is 100 amp stock, it seems ok,, i have two big back up lights, ya know heater , radio plowlight, plow motor, strobe , it all adds up,i run two batteries also,, but yes i think there is like only a couple of manufacters of battery in the country, and they all just put there own name onthem,, i had a auto zone yellow in my rv , that baby sure was good one,, i have one diehard in there now, think illl go yellow when these take a dump,?
  8. PLOWMAN45

i think my truck has a 145 amp
  9. KCB

KCB Senior Member

I got an Optima blue top deepcycle. It has 4 post terminals. Also got a 145amp alternator. More power than i know what to do with.:nod:
  10. PLOWMAN45

thats a marine battery do you mean the yellow
  11. KCB

KCB Senior Member

Nope the blue :bluebounc The D34 yellow and the D34M blue are essentially the same battery. According to the dealer the material used in the spiral cells are thinner and coiled tighter than the yellow. So sitting dormant will hold its charge longer,like 8 months or something. Plus i like the accessory post terminals, keeps all the connections neater too.