1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What battery to run?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WOODY367, Oct 22, 2007.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Going to replace the OEM battery in my 04 F250 5.4. Just wondering what brand people find to be the best or what to stay away from.

2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I am in love with my Odyssey batteries, they have been great!!!!!!

but optimas are my second choice.

3. All Season Lawn

All Season Lawn Member

im going to have to go with the optima yellow top

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Duralast from Autozone is rated the best buy by Consumers Reports.

Whichever kind you get, get the biggest you can fit in the tray. I read that size and weight mean more holding capacity.

For your money and performance I would go Duramax.

I have a Optima in my Dodge and wish I had gone with a big Duramax.

Brand new the Optima barely held up to a 20 hour plow run.

It charged at the end of the day real nice and is a good overall battery but it is way over rated in my view.

I have Duralast in my GMC and that is what convinced me to replace the Optima with one hopefully before the snow flies this winter.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

motorcraft OEM seem to hold up well. we just replaced the original set in our 1997 f 350 7.3 last year.

6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

interstate batteries are the way to go

7. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Hmmm...I have the same rig 04 SD 5.4...

Should I be thinking about replacing my battery? The truck (just bought it in Sept. 07 with only 5200 miles on it) Truck is basically brand new and I've had no issues, but haven't started plowing yet either. It's like having a "new old stock" battery, yet it IS in fact going to be 4 years old...may be worth it to run down to the corner Autozone and pick up a great big Duralast...I had one in my Durango that served me well for a couple of years. Can't beat the warrantee either...

How much reliance is placed on the vehicle's battery while plowing anyway? I realize the power to the plow is directly off the battery, but isn't it charging while you're plowing???

What are the ramifications of having a 4 year old battery that was in a vehicle that only had 5200 miles put on it since new?? (I am now building miles on the truck what with the lawn business and all)

Thoughts, anyone???
    Didn't mean to hijack this thread but the original poster got me thinking about it as we have the exact same vehicles...thanks!

8. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

get a kick ass battery for that thing, my 5.4 in the 250 was a brand new 1000 amper and it was toasted after about 6 hours in on my boss v setup, id have to let it sit for 15 mins and charge. it was one of those sams club batteries, newest date sticker i could get...by the end of the storm every time id run the pump it would stall the truck....even though the alternator charges, if its not a good batt, the aleternator charges by the volt reading....it dosent do a load test...so it can be "charged" but once you put a load on it it drains it fast, sort of like putting small rechargables into the charger for 20 mins. versus overnight...the camera you put them in will show full on the screen but die right away....the alternator is charging, 60, 90, 120, or in my diesel's case a custom 500 amps but to do a solid charge you want to do it slow, at 2 or 10 amps....so since you cant charge at 2 amps fast enough to keep up with the plow motor, the battery gets a lot of drain down

my bro had good luck with the walmart everstart max...they have a 2 year warrenty but hes already gone through one, and only got last year out of it....so im keeping an eye on this post too to see what comes of it, maybe some sort of a deep cell which can take the heavy draw down and quick-charging an alternator does

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  9. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

What about Sears Diehard? aren't they made by Interstate?

10. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

to gel or not to gel

i have been very happy with a super start extreme gel filled yellow top battery i got from o'reiley auto parts it had three times the warranty and about $50.00 cheaper wholesale .it's square and you don't have to drink a six pack after you pay the bill for a optima 6 pack battery we have been having bad failer rates with the guys that have optima's out here

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Get the biggest Duralast Battery Auto Zone has that will fit on the tray. I have run them in 2 trucks. They have a 3 year free replacement warranty. They hold up to the punishment of plowing. Use the search function on the gray line above. Search " Power, charging, duel batteries, alternators etc" You can read up on it for days. It's addressed here many times a year.

12. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

get Dekas!!

Deka batteries are the best hands down!

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

but I like drinking six packs:drinkup: :D

...sorry off topic...on with the show

14. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

15. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hey phillbilly2 think how many 6 packs you can get with the $50.00 you save !

16. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

nice heavy duty BOAT marine battery.
    i think they are made to higher quality specs. just my opinion. i bought a new battery for my boat a couple months ago. decided as soon as i need another auto battery im going a boat dealer for a marine one instead.
    starting/trolling type.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  17. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I don't think the marine deep cycle is a good choise due to its made for a long draw over hours. for plowing it might be damaged by the quick drain and recharing. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

18. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

stricly deep cycle trolling i believe you are correct. the starting/trolliing ive always run in my powerboats i dont see the difference. i use to run just the regular starting batteries in them but i noticed if i left the ignition on or lights too long or anything the battery went dead fairly quickly and it didnt always take a charge well get it going again. starting/trolling. hard to kill. is there a difference? if its good enough to take fifty miles out in the ocean and rely on in deep sea fishing i think it will start a truck. you do what you want. i made up my decision by seeing how much people rely on marine batteries. they take some serious abuse.
    also. in my silverado im just running the stock alternator and it didnt come with plow prep. figure when this battery dies ill swap it out for a marine and if the alternator isnt keeping up at times it wont matter. take a while to run the battery down and it will go back to full charge eventually.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  19. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

on my personal truck which is a 02' dodge ctd 6sp, when we put the twin turbo steup on we lost one battery 'cause the extra turbo is settin there i ran about half a year and the factory batt. took a crap so we tried SEVERAL other batt's and 2 seasons ago we put a 31series Caterpillar batt in it and it still is going strong, we tried optima(red) and a bunch of others, the trick to it is getting the huge thing in there i hae to cut the sides off my bat box and the hood just barely clears the batt terminals, but it's been the only way to go for me, i think a marine deepcycle would be great also i would think that you could take a marine deep cycle and substitute for one of the other bats(2 bat setup) or maybe just tie it inline with a heavy cable, just somethin to assist the other(small) batt.

a couple of years ago we had a truck (98chev) that the alt. went out on and we was plowing wal-mart so i went and bought a new bat. (the biggest one they had) and just ran a set of jumper cables to it and ran the truck to the shop. but next plowtime we noticed the little alt. starting to struggle keeping the lights bright etc. so we put the cables on the extra batt again and it seemed to have cured it

we do not get the snow like most of you so if we do not buy a truck brand new it prob. wont have the plow package

20. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I do not see the point of buying a battery that costs 2 times the cost of the best Auto Zone battery. Your alternator puts out 1/3 of it's rating at near idle. You need at least a 100 amp alternator to stay on the + side of charging when plowing. Like I said search the charging issues and you will see what people say about it. Even duel batteries will not give you the benefits that a big alternator and battery will give you.