1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What axle ratio's the best to plow with?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaySpring Services, Mar 23, 2006.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Im going in Saturday to order my new truck. 06 Ram 3500 cummins, single rear wheel. I going to be plowing decent size lots. I picked a 4.10 axle over the stock 3.73. IS that a good choice or should I just the 3.73. Anyone have any experience with these and gas mileage?

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

my 98 gas had 4.10 my 04 hemi has 3.73 i wish it had 4.10
    give the truck alittle extra torque when pulling out
    john

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would say that the 3.73 is going to get you better gas mileage. I have 3.55 in a 2000, 3500 Cab and a 1/2 Dodge with the Cummins. This was my 4th year plowing with it and it has 125,000 miles. The guy I bought it from ordered it with this rear end because he goes to his cottage every weekend. I have never had a problem with it.

4. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Rear End

Been plowing now for 7 years with my dodge and it has a 373 rear end and have never had a problem. It gets good milage on the highway as well as plenty of torgue when I need it. I also piloted with it between Anchorage and Prudoe Bay for three years. Ran up over a 100,000 miles on it as well as the plowing. During that three year period I never had to put a dime into the turck with the exception of normal maintenance and tires. PS It did eat brake shoes regularly though because of all the slow driving and the mountain passes that you have to go through.

5. DaySpring Services

Maybe I should just go with the 3.73 instead.

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

im running 4.10 with locking rear end

7. DaySpring Services

What are you guys getting for mileage?

8. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Ride Hard

I'd make one suggestion though and if your plowing in really cold limates like I am I'd change the filter from the cloth to the steel. You can get them at any speed shop here so I assume you can do ti there as well. Its the only problem I have had in over 300 k miles

9. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Richard NY

You have a 1500 quad Hemi? How does it hold up with the plow? I have been told that the front ends are to light. I just bought one with 4500 miles on it and my mechanic where I have my plows put on said he would not recommend it at all. Not near as heavily build as the pre 2001's were with the straight axels.

10. DaySpring Services

The 1500 Plows like a dream. No problems or complaints here. I dont know why they say you cant plow with it. Just cant really see it hurting it. I'd be keeping this truck if I wasn't going to lots next year.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

My 96 has 4:10 with ltd slip rear, I get 16ish. Tons of torque- this truck can move a house.
    The same setup with 3:56 standard ratios (no ltd slip avail in that) gets 24ish.

BIG difference in mileage
    I'm considering adding an over/under drive unit to make up the difference for highway use.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

13. Up North

Up North Senior Member

14. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

JMO but if your not towing heavy and mostly just driving it or plowing get the 373 with the cummins motor

15. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

3.73's and you'll be happy.

I would definately go with the 3.73's, I have a 98 cummins 3/4 ton with 3.55's I believe and my gears are too low for city/highway driving. If you are going to be working in the field, or only pushing very large amounts of wet heavy snow, or pulling trailers at the limit of your truck, than go with the 4.10's, but for city/highway driving and plowing snow than I would stay with 3.73. I get around 16 mpg in the city and 19 mpg highway. But I do have a 5speed and a large flatbed. Just my 2 cents.

Ryan

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

17. DaySpring Services

I think I'll go with the 3.73. It should be enough torque with the cummins and save my mileage.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If it's daily driver transportation, 3:73. If it's a work truck, 4:10. Gas mileage sucks but you'll charge better (higher RPM), work the transmission less, and move the proverbial mountain.
    My 5.7 liter Hemi, 3/4 w/4:10 rears got 5.1 mpg this last season. It never moved with-out a blade and a salter. On it's way to push snow. Be interesting to see what it gets this summer.

19. DaySpring Services

I was getting 13.5 with my hemi last year. It has a 3.92 in it.

20. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Remember I have the Cummins.... ig difference in milage between the CTD and the gassers already noted in many places.... Even with the 3.73 you'd have trouble seeing 16 in that 360ci.