1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What ATV?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Creagers Lawns, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Creagers Lawns

Creagers Lawns Junior Member
    from 84020

Im looking to buy a ATV for Snow removal The one Im looking hard at is the Artic Cat 1000, Had several people tell me to stay away from polaris lot of mechanical issues. I found a company that makes a awesome fully mechanical plow called Blackline has lift and turn left/right that the one for me. Any other suggestions or whats everyone else using

2. irv

irv Senior Member

you wouldnt have to worry about a lack of power. the blackline looks
    like one hd setup. how heavy are they.

3. 450foreman04

450foreman04 Junior Member

When it comes to work ATVs there is nothing like a Honda. They will run forever and require the least amount of repair/upkeep (in my opinion). This is a huge consideration if its for a business and even more so if you are going to have employees run it. Honda ATVs have a lot of low end torque and plenty of power for pushing. Personally, if I won a brand new ATV of any other make I would sell it and buy a used Honda... still be more reliable.

4. Creagers Lawns

from 84020

I definately dont want to be broke down I want a v twin with th most torque and power I can get what ever I choose

5. Creagers Lawns

from 84020

not sure how heavy they are I know they advertise a 650 lb down pressure . I will be getting one when I figure out what atv I want the artic cat 1000 is kind of pricey but i want power to push at the price of atv's I want something that will last awhile since wife helps with business decission lol

6. snowtech

snowtech Member

we have the honda forman elec shift 500 four stroke. i have to imagine the one you are looking at will have a ton more power but our honda has treated us very well. we only have a 48 inch angle blade (for sidewalks) on ours but it has done everything we have asked of it. in return we have only changed oil every fall. i think its 4-5 yrs old now. will prob replace the batt in it this year just to be safe. but we have had diff operators and they have no problem with the controls. easy to use and reliable. jmo....good luck

7. Creagers Lawns

from 84020

just surfing the net and seen the Honda Rincon and one I havent heard of called a Can-Am 8oo anyone know anything on the can-am

8. snowtech

snowtech Member

i looked at a couple of can ams before i purchased my honda. they looked like very nice machines. I cannot remember why i went with the honda. (not that i regret going with the honda) might have been i was worried about dealer service and parts. i have multiple honda dealers local and the closest can am is over an hour away.

9. Creagers Lawns

from 84020

Hows the ease of shifting into reverse on the Hondas some atvs can be a pain to shift in reverse I use to have a old Honda Big Red and it wasn't bad just push little red button and downshift

10. snowtech

snowtech Member

simalar on my honda foreman. push a little red button and pull the brake and hit the down shift button and thats it. what i like about the elec shift is its easy to use when the guys are all bundled up. its all with the thumb.

11. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

For the plowing part, power has little to do with it... it's all about traction. A little Foreman or Rancher with chains will probably push more snow then the big Cat without chains. So, no matter which brand you pick, get good tires on it, and consider chains, and add weight to the racks if needed. Picking a quad with 500 cc's or more is probably a good idea... but not absolutely necessary.

As for brand, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda seem to be the most reliable. Some folks have great luck with the Popo's, and some folks have had bad luck with them (like me). My son has a little 400 Cat that pushes snow just fine with a 60" blade, and it's been a pretty good ATV.

Good luck with your choice.

12. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Shifting F-R on the Rincon is a straight shot.

13. irv

irv Senior Member

same on the honde rubicon. they are both automatics.. l-d-n-r.

14. Creagers Lawns

from 84020

Looks like alot of choices to make soon whatever I get will go with the chain idea would rather have tracks but wooo they want a mint for them I just think a ATV of some sort would be best for me I do alot of residential and small commercial would free up my truck to do the bigger stuff. Not sure how you all do it as far as set customers for snow, but I have few set customers but I just go into a neighborhood and start knocking on doors quote them a price so far been really good turn out. saves on fuel also not having to run very far

15. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i roll with honda also, and power isnt needed my ass, yea the little ones will do it, but your working them, that a/c is junk sorry to say and think of the fuel that thing drinks, yea that wont bother you till your hurrying to get done and braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap it runs out and you have to get some hahaha

the 500 is all you need but the rincon is bigger, just sayinhahaha

the canam is very cool looking, and i'd love a renegade i just don't want to fix a renegade, i rode them and heard alot of tranny whine? i asked the guy and he said these are demos everybody and theyre bro beat on these , to my reply wtf did you think i was gonna do to it, he nodded in agreement.

ride red

16. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

Asking which brand of quad to buy is like asking which brand of truck to buy. Everybody will have their opinion and generally they will believe what ever they own or use is the best thing since sliced bread and refuse to even look at the competition.

I personally use a Polaris Sportsman 800 X2 and it was able to clear a entire parking lot filled with about 14-18" of snow. It took a while but it worked.

Then I took it out riding a few months ago and had some fun jumping my 1000lb quad while still having a comfortable ride afterward. Nothing even seems close to breaking yet.

Yes, the Cat may have a bigger engine but you aren't really going to be going all that fast while you are plowing anyways are you?

I've never owned a quad before but so far Polaris has me sold on performance and durability.

17. quisman

quisman Member
    from Vermont

Aside from brand loyalty I would seriuosly consider what is serviceable in your area. EVERYTHING breaks down sooner or later.
    I would boast my 05 brute force 750i kawi plows amazing and is the machine to get...but maybe people haven't had the same luck as me. I've had to plow my 1000' long rock filled super nasty driveway and it does amazing. I'll take a truck over it anyway, but just saying. Like Tosa93F250 said, took a while but it worked. If I didn't get a great deal on my kawi and it wasn't serviceable just down the road I probably would've went for a......well I didn't look LOL and love my machine. Starts and runs everytime no matter the condition. Which I was shocked about a carbed mill.

it's definitely opinion...find what you like best sitting on as well. Like when snowtech explains putting his honda in reverse...to me it sounds like solving a puzzle. Brake here, red button, shift...WOW
    My brute force, I move the lever to R. DONE.

18. Creagers Lawns

from 84020

your right they all have good and bad points and true they all break sooner or later. like buying lawn equipment me personally I use Toro Grandstands but to some one else might not suite them or be their brand. I have heard lot of people talk highly of the hondas as far as reliability. I appreciate everyone's opinion and views

19. quisman

quisman Member
    from Vermont

Let us know what you get some pics of the new machine when she comes !!

Speaking of plow sites LOL
    I just towed my hacked up speedcast plow frame down to the house w/ the atv so I could plasma cut all the crap off it the last owner cobbed on. Gotta love how versatile they are !

20. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

the best way is to actually see how someone uses theyres and see how it holds up,

me personally started riding 3 wheelers as a kid bigreds tecates 86 250r then went onto 250 4 wheelers racing them at local rodeos with a 100 dollar pot so i even made some coin, raced my polaris scrambler 4x4 in hare scrambles against what i rode new when i was a kid haha, then got my rincon and played hard and raced a rock maple terrain race 1st place all 3 races,yea it costme 100 bucks to enter and it would of been cheaper to just buy a trophy hahaha, but being underpowered and kicking ass you just can't put a price on hahaha

i have rode with all the different brands, they all have theyre goods and bads NO DOUBT but theres a reason you pay more for a honda period,

look at the castings on honda as say polaris's is it stamped steel? its been awhile since ive bothered to look at them lol these guys are the founders of these toys that and zook which is second on my list of quads. i am only comparing my old 250rs from each, if ya had them you would know what i am talking about.

oh who does the best electronics???????????? i'm thinking japan myself, i've had kawi street bikes blew up two and sold the last one before it did, yes i am hard on my toys, why i have no clue other than the adrenalin rush, i don't just go out and run into a tree, **** happens at speed on the trail hahaha

i have atleast 50,000 miles on sleds and my quads were my first toy that i rode weekly friday sat and sunday i'm glad they didn't have odometers hahaha

so i guess ya have to know what experiences a guy has had before you can take his advice,good for me i tape my outings hahahaha

it isn't fast by any means but i can ride, and thats all ya need imo