1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are your thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Craftybigdog, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Alright, I have a John Deere 317 skidsteer and Im looking to upgrade to a 325 I need more lift capacity and the 2 speed for the winter for plowing. But Ive also been looking at the Bobcat S300. Its not alot more than the 325 and a whole lot more lift. What are your opinions on this ? Will a larger skid push alot more snow? Thanks alot
  2. js580sl

js580sl Junior Member

Hello Im new to this forum. Just curious, have you considered a Gehl? I have a Gehl CTL60 track machine. We have been very impressed with its capabilities. I know that Gehl has great pricing on the rubber tired machines. Ive seen a guy who does a whole parkin lot with the largest machine Gehl makes. Him and one pick up.
    Hope this helps.
  3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If you are reling on snow plowing for an income then bigger is better. as big as you can get in a SS will move more snow.
    Question is do you need a new one or can you settle for a used one. Do you do your own service on them then a used may be the way to go. If you send it back to the dealer to change oil, and do minor repairs then a new one may be the answer.
    up side of bigger
    Bigger will load a truck faster and easer,
    Bigger will stack snow higher.
    Bigger will push a bigger blade.

Down side of bigger
    Bigger may cost more
    Bigger will require a larger trailer.
    Bigger burns more fuel
    Bigger tires cost more.
    Bigger wares out tires faster.
    Bigger cost more to maintain.

I personaly thingk bigger is better.