1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

>>What are your records ?????<<

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by On a Call, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Set a new record for me.... Hours in a week and hours in a row.

49 hours straight

118 hours in a week...may add more ??

So how about you ?
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Back when I worked for a pro baseball team there were many times when I'd work from 7am-Midnight during 10 game home stands (even a couple 12 game home stands). I was an hourly employee so my checks were huge. Time and half after 40 hours and double time after 60. The best part was that my boss took pity on us after the 6th game in a row and we could sleep in the lounge while being on the clock. $20+/hr to sleep. That was back in the late 90s so it prepared me nicely for working long hours while plowing.

(What's up with you adding greater than ">" and less than "<" symbols to your posts? Do they have any significance?)
  3. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

Sound like a great way to wind up hurting yourself of someone else when you finally succumb to sleep behind the wheel. No amount of money is worth your life, or worse yet, some poor sap who you happen to cross paths with...literally.
  4. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Camden....no significance to the symbols. I typically use it to identify my posts.

Indpistim....I agree with the safety issue. When I feel tired I stop and nap right then.

While working I generally avoid any sugars and caffeine. Eating protein and veggies. Sure seems to make a difference
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No significance to the symbols, why use them?
  6. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Because...>>>> I can <<<< :)
  7. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

During large snow events or back to back ones, I often lose track of everything. If the time I am reading is AM or PM and often even lose track of what day it is.... Especially when I wake up after days of being awake and 12 hours sleeping. lol... So who knows.
  8. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Exactly... I wonder how many hourly jobs I have were over or under billed :) !!
  9. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

49 hours isn't cool or heroic, its idioacracy. You sir, are a *******. Go home. tighten your route. Get another truck or driver. 24 hours = sleep for six. I have 74 hours since Monday at midnight. That is smart. 49 straight is not. Please wise up, you are risking the lives of others on the road that care.
  10. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

50 hours straight and 119 in a week was my personal best. We had many employees out perform me though. :confused:
  11. CLeslein

CLeslein Member

what happens when an employee gets in an accident and reports to the officer that he has been working 50+ hours straight?
  12. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I've done 63 straight. Not sure about how many in a week. Probably last year with the 3ft blizzard. Lots of bobcat/payloader time. I agree it's insanely irresponsible but when you're the boss it's all falls on you when employees don't show up. That particular storm I had two shovelers no show and I blew the engine on one of my trucks. I never let my employees work past 15-18 hours but I stayed out the whole time. When I finished I pulled up to my shop but was too tired to get out so I fell asleep right there for an hour until one of my guys woke me up. I'll never do that again and I've been dropping accounts every year since. Soon I will be in a position to take the entire winter off once my wife goes back to work in a couple of years.
  13. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I see both sides of the coin...I would not ask my employees to do it. It was me.

And I think I know my body after 55 years and 38 of them plowing. I have learned to eat right, drink right ( and that does not include caffeine , relax while working , and cat naps.
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It's been discussed before, most reasonable people realize that anything over 18 is stupidly irresponsible.

There is nobody's parking lot or driveway that is worth that kind of risk.

Eating right does not negate the effects of lack of sleep, interrupted sleep or poor sleep.

Then again, people around here realize that a storm that dropped 18" isn't going to be cleared in the normal amount of time. Besides that, the roads are in such poor condition, even if they could get out, they will get stuck.

In a storm like that, it's all about access for safety. Fire, EMS, etc can access the building. Once it stops, then the details get taken care of.

Back in 2011, we had a 16" storm. I worked 2 18 hour shifts, all of my guys did. I'd be stupid to ask more than that.
  15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

49 hours with naps isnt 49 hours straight........just saying.

I am a person that can function on little to no sleep. I usually don't sleep more than 5 hours of broken sleep per night anyway. I've never napped during an event. I don't even attempt to sleep if there's a chance of having to go out shortly after.........especially because it really screws with my migraines (actual treated medical condition, not your average sissy boy headache that many claim is a migrane).

I suppose if we're measuring coc&$, I've been up 3 days straight a handfull of times, but not in a truck. Back in my sub days I think low 30s was my record. I honestly haven't recorded my own hours in years, and I don't keep myself or my guys in a truck for longer than they can safely handle. My routes are layed out so well anymore it doesn't matter anyway.
  16. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I am not asking anyone to do it, as I feel you are right. My jobs were closed lots and close together. And yes...eating right does make a difference, IMO. I have been there and done it.

But that is me.

18 hours is still a good amount also.
  17. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

H2O...you are right...adding 1/2 hour naps here and there...break it up.
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Medical experts disagree.
  19. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Ruptured blood vessels in stomach and bladder, total of 3 weeks in hospital from TIA, countless scans, needles including spinal tap and two EMG's. All complications from chronic migraine. And still never missed a day of plowing.

Does that get me out of the sissy boy category?

OP, coming on here and bragging about how long you can stay up will never go over well, just ask BS.
  20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

sure does. Tell me it doesn't piss you off more than anything when you are with somebody and they say boy I have a migraine. Then you tell them if you have a migraine you wouldn't be there right now so they obviously don't
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.