1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are your experiences / opinions on Hiniker Equipment

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by ronanryan, Oct 22, 2009.

1. ronanryan

ronanryan Junior Member

Hello,

My local store is recommending me a Hiniker Plow (9.5 ft V for a 04 F350 Dually. Have no experience with that brand of plow, is it considered a cheaper brand? Does anyone know Hiniker's Pros and Cons?

Thanks

2. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

I have had 2 Hiniker plows, My first was a 8 ft straight and my current is a 8.5 poly V. They are great plows very durable and very well made (IMO) I dont think you will go wrong by going the Hiniker Route.

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have had 8 of them over the years 2 8' Straight blades they were tough as nails there wasn't anything that ever broke or gave us any problems. The 6 V-plows I have had since then I can't say the same thing about... Nothing but issues with A-frames cracking from the adjustment nut, mount forks breaking, pump mounts breaking etc...
    I think they are building WAY to heavy of a blade with a mounting system that can't take the weight from it's own use, We run 8 1/2 Foot blades I don't want to think of the issues your going to have with a 9 1/2 Foot plow, when you think about it all there mounting parts are the same from the 7 1/2 and up...

I would keep looking but thats just me...

4. topdj

topdj Senior Member

due to the fork design I would not get anything other then the 7.5, 8 or 8.5 straight blade.
    Sounds like you need a heavy commercial unit. Yes I own 8' straight it appears to be a nice regular duty plow.

5. ronanryan

ronanryan Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if there is an aftermarket bracket system I could use instead of the stock one that hiniker provides? SInce the install of this isnt planned until middle of next week, I still have time to locate a different mounting kit. Is that even possible or are you stuck with each kit unless you come up with something of your own? Oh ! also i have already decided on the 8.5 footer as that is long enough to get across the rear wheel base of my dually.

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I am going along with the others and say the mount is not a strong point of a Hiniker. I have never had any issues but have heard horror stories from guys with the heavier plows.

If I were to purchase a new V type plow I would look at a Boss or if you dont need a V check out the Western Wideout. JMO

7. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

I've had my 8' for two seasons now and have had no problems at all with it. I added wings before last yr and can't say anything bad.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

My hiniker kicks arse...been nothing but reliable, cleans well, and is pretty quick.

But don't get me wrong...Id rather have a boss v or snoway mega v.

Hiniker piles....Higher than the 250 by a long shot.

DSCN3736.jpg

DSCN3715.jpg

9. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I have a steel 8.5 V on an F350 and have had no problems

10. scooterdayton

scooterdayton Junior Member

I have a small straight blade on a 2500 chevy, brand new last season.
    may have bent them forks a bit becassue its a pain getting it to mount up.
    once attached its a great plow. ive ran over many times, beet it really hard.
    I love the contour of the blade and it has a great cutting edge.
    cleaned off the lots better than our 8ft boss v.
    overall i really like it, however the fork mounting system could use some work.
    seems to me it raises really high as well, helps with pushing that stuff up there.

11. exmark1

You are stuck with what they give you... There is no other mount that will work, and the factory will act like you are the only one who has seen it. I personally have had it happen 4 times so I am sure they tell everyone that!

12. bkstoffe

bkstoffe Junior Member

I have a 9.5 V on my Chevy, and havent had an issue yet - I think it is a great plow. I inspect the forks every time I put it on, because of the reported breakage... no issues yet, and I beat the crap out of that thing..

13. exmark1

You won't see anything trust me we check them everytime and there is no start or cracking they just break.

14. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

They are an ok plow I prefer western but I also have a Hiniker 7'6". I have had a problem with the controller but that is not because of the design of the plow its the operater. My dad normally runs that truck and after every season you really need to take the controller apart and clean the dust out of it. It would help if you took it out of the truck for the summer. Now my dad beats the crap out of the plow and I have never had a problem with it.

15. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You are taking it off wrong.
    1. Drop plow leave the controller in float
    2.Compress lift cylinder all the way by standing on it
    3.Drop foot, unhook wires and release pins
    4. Back out. Done.
    Remember #2
    If you ever forget to compress the cylinder just hook the wiring backup, put the controller in float and push the rack up and compress the cylinder at the same time. If you remove it right you should be able to hookup in 30seconds

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  16. topdj

topdj Senior Member

Id like to add that dropping the plow on a level surface aids in mounting and unmounted. I keep my forks well greased. Ever since I switched from the homeowners to the 8 foot straight blade it has been a whole lot easier to mount. The heavier plow stays put when you drive into it.

17. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Last time I posted I mentioned greasing the forks .....And got a lot of stupid comments...
    But I believe in greasing them less friction on the forks ...
    Lube up all the pins on a regular bases.... It all adds up to longevity ....

I have been fairly happy with the plow ... Bought it used in 02 I think it was originally bought in 99...
    But no major issues other then normal wear...I do run shoes makes it easier on the truck cutting edges are way to $$$$$$..
    Good Luck on your choice !!!!

18. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

We got a couple new dealers in this area in recent years, still very rare to see a Hiniker, I think most people in my area have never heard of them. I liked them at first, checked their products out and liked some of their innovations. However, the only one I know of locally is on an F350. Last spring he got into a minor fender bender, rearended a small car at a red light (without the blade on). Minor damage to the front bumper of the truck, and small cars have no structure to the rear bumpers anyway, but I was shocked to see the damage to the plowframe. Steel ears (or forks, if thats what they are called) snapped clean off. I still can't understand what he hit that could do that, I mean, a 2 foot curb I could understand it maybe, but a little car? I think I'd have to hit something pretty solid going pretty fast to do any damage to my plowframe. The bodyshop guy told me that was good, you want things to give way and break, but I disagree when it comes to plow equipment. If it will snap off against the back of a little car, then hows it going to stand up to the punishment of banging into snowbanks with a blade fitted to it, a few thousand times? And I think we all know that no matter how much we try to go easy on the equipment, theres always circumstances where you end up beating on it more than you want to, whether it's intentional or not. And if you hire some 18 y/o landscape laborer kid to run it for you, you should know it's going to get beat hard.
    So, all I'm saying is I'd much prefer a plowframe that is virtually unbreakable.

19. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

BTW, the only reason I came into the Hiniker forum today was to check out stories about the V-plows, as I'm thinking about getting one for the back up truck, probably for next season. Since Blizzard doesn't make a V, and I like Fisher but they are hugely expensive, I wanted to get opinions on some other brands of V plows. So far I haven't read much good about the Hiniker V.

20. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I have a 9.5' Hiniker V on my 2002 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab. I just started my 3rd season and have not have any problems so far. I ran a hiniker 8' straight blades from 1994 until I purchased the V. I find they have been very reliable.