1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are you using for deflectors

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by fireboy5722, Feb 9, 2014.

1. fireboy5722

fireboy5722 Senior Member

My new to me plow has a hard plastic Meyer snow deflector and I'm having trouble with it pushing up when there is a lot of snow in front of the blade!:help:

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i use the rubber deflectors. it looks like conveyor belt material.

3. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

had friends that work at a power plant and they cut them from old coal conveyor belt. very thick. I told them to cut a bunch and sell them but they are retired now.

4. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Is it causing a problem that its pushing up? Way I figure it, is as long as it doesn't damage the plow itself, then if the deflector breaks, just say "oh well" and remove what's left of it, or replace it with something better *then*. The job of the deflector is just to catch powder/dust that would otherwise fly up onto your windshield and clog your wipers. Most people don't need/use them at all.

5. fireboy5722

Yes that's causing a problem when trying to push windrows back!

6. jasonv

from kannada

Think you could explain that a bit better? How is it causing a problem?

7. fireboy5722

When you start pushing a windrow out to clean up the snow rolls in front and picks up on the blade due to the hard plastic not having any give.

8. jasonv

from kannada

That's not what is picking up your blade.
    If you take the deflector off entirely, you will see that it still lifts.
    You're trying to plow too hard of snow, try a bulldozer instead.

9. fireboy5722

How is it to hard of snow it's powder? With a full blade of powder the blade will lift. I am switching to a rubber belt from a bailer going to try that see how it works. Do need a wider blade or wings:laughing lol

10. jasonv

from kannada

You said that you were pushing back snow banks. Don't do that.

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I doubt it's picking up the plow, I bet whats happening is there's so much snow that the blade is riding up, that happens to every blade when theres a lot of snow. I would think that plastic deflector would break before it would lift a plow blade. At any rate there are places to get universal replacement rubber deflectors. I just saw a 8 or 10" wide x 10ft long on ebay for around 50 bucks. Thats my route next time I need to replace mine. I had a driver side Fisher oem rubber deflector that ripped through the holes and kept coming off and it cost me 143.00! Never again!