1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are you spraying?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossman 92, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

What liquid are you spraying and what's your cost per gallon? We sprayed a Calcium chloride based natural mineral well brine with beet juice mixed in last year with good results but it's pretty pricey at .80 per gallon. They claim you only need to spray 45 gals per acre but we always went heavier.

Curious what you guys are using and costs. Hoping to find a cost effective product that doesn't require 100 gals per acre.

2. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

Is the brine/beet juice all you used last year or you still used salt? I always wanted to try this mixture. Did you spray it before a storm as well as after?

3. Bossman 92

We used salt as well. We sprayed the salt before we loaded it and sometimes sprayed the salt as it was leaving the drag chain. We had real good results doing that but would like to get away from salt where at all possible. We did spray some of our lots with pretty good results. Where it really shined was on walks.

4. dodgegmc1213

yea I want to get away from salt also besides using it to make brine. did the lots that you sprayed clear off cleaner with the plow or did you only spray them if it was a dusting or freezing rain? because I wanna be able to spray a lot and walks before a storm and they clean off nicely and also spray if a dusting or freezing rain comes and I know the product will work and I don't have to go to the sites in the middle of the night

5. Bossman 92

We only sprayed after we plowed or shoveled. When we sprayed after we plowed it took a little while (less than 30 mins) to melt everything off. When we sprayed after we cleared walks it worked much quicker because we sprayed much heavier....I assume that's why it worked quicker. Spraying after we did walks the walks were clear in just a few minuets.

Now that I think back I did spray a lot when we had a pretty heavy snow squall blow thru ( 1/2" in 15 mins). I started spraying almost as soon as it started....the snow fell....and then melted off within 20 minuets but I sprayed very heavy.

By far the best results we saw were when we treated our bulk with the liquid. One storm in particular I treated a 5 acre lot with treated bulk just before it started snowing...I waited until the storm was finished (about 4 hours) and returned to plow off the roughly 2" of snow that had fallen. When I got back the lot was completely wet except for 2 small areas the I had missed while salting. Now that was a Sunday storm that fell during the middle of the day with temps in the upper 20's.

6. dodgegmc1213

i believe we are gonna get salt from a guy by us which is treated with beet juice, as they call it ice bite. he also sells the brine/beet juice mix ima try and convince my dad to buy a few gallons and try it on sidewalks.

hey thanks for the info bossman

7. Bossman 92

No problem.

What are you guys using to treat your walks?

8. dodgegmc1213

We always just used bulk salt, take the spinner off the salter and dump into buckets. But wanna give the liquid a try at least at 1 site with sidewalks

9. Bossman 92

We were using bagged products costing somewhere between $8 and $14 depending on what we used. We switched to liquid last year and will never go back. One property we were using close to $225in product each event. We switched to liquid and cut that down to about $50.

10. dodgegmc1213

Thats a heck of savings, the best salt I ever used was landscaper choice, i loved that stuff, we had a big tote bag of that stuff we dumped into our 2yd saltdogg, I got done plowing and spreaded it starts melting instantly.

11. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Word of warning about the beet juice it can easily be tracked inside when you're using it on the walks or near entrances... Our floors are permanently? Stained from when we tried it out a few years ago and it was on trucks as they were brought inside...

12. iPlowNH

iPlowNH Member

How did that Ice Bite work out? I ordered a tote of it but it hasn't came in yet after 5 weeks. Not sure if I want to keep waiting or just go back to Magic Salt.

13. dodgegmc1213

Works great, there's a few times it crusted and froze a little in the salters but I believe the guy had wet salt to begin with. It works pretty quick when you apply it. This year we're trying the brine/ice bite mix for anti-icing and the truck that has that system will also you it for de-icing at their sites. There's a chance that we'll be using magic in the salt trucks, the guy we are subbing from uses it and said he can give it to us for a better price then the other guy with ice bite who was at $164/yd last year which killed us

14. iPlowNH

iPlowNH Member

I like magic salt. The guy here sells it high and doesn't put enough liquid in it. I wanted to try beet juice because I saw it at the GIE this year. I've heard more bad than good about it. Don't know what is true. I would use it to pretreat with brine, spray sidewalks and treat bulk salt. I was told by a guy here that it'll freeze the salt solid tho. Magic had magnesium in so less likelihood. At what temps did yours get crusty?

15. dodgegmc1213

I didn't watch the Temps at all but it was mainly nights or really cold days. We had alot more magic freeze then ice bite. Ice bite thawed quicker and easier to break up, the magic was solid, again everything depends on how wet the plain salt is, if it's dry and the mixture is right it shouldn't freeze. We also found out a few years ago the local guy with magic was adding water to make it go further and make more money

16. iPlowNH

iPlowNH Member

That sucks. I wouldn't put it past our guy either. He probably only mixes 3 gallons per yard. It's light colored but still works better than plain salt. I wanted to be a distributor for Ice Bite here but wasn't sure how it compared to magic.
    what are its potential cons when compared with magic salt 50/50 ( the magic with Magnesium in it )

17. dodgegmc1213

I actually didn't know magnesium was in it. I do know magic if used just as liquid the ground and air temperatures have to be just right. My dad years ago for his boss sprayed a stop n shop with magic before a storm and the temperature was around 33 34, the fire department called and said people were sliding all over the place and crashing. If the temperature is 32 or below it would be fine but slightly warmer it's like ice. Weird

18. plowin21532

plowin21532 Junior Member

What is the cost of the beet juice and what percentage are you blending? Does it stain lots or areas where it is tracked?