1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are you paying sub guy's this season

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by the intimidator, Sep 16, 2010.

1. the intimidator

the intimidator Junior Member

Hey I am in southern Ontario looking for work as a sub this season I am in the process of setting up some personal accounts right now private drive's and calculating my operating costs for this season. My question to you guy's is what is the going rate for subs this year?
    I am running a 04 3/4 ton chevy silverado crew cab Pushing a 8'6 western ultramount plow. I have experience as a back up driver for private company and doing country drives with my old truck also experience running bobcat with 8 foot blade and backhoe with a 12 foot blade and farm tractors with blowers. I want this to be a informative thread and stay on topic I am also not a lowballer newbie as you guy's say been reading the sight for a couple years now and around the business since I was 17 and got my license This is however my first year going at it full time so I need all the help I can get which is why I am wanting to do sub work Thanks alot
  2. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Depends on your area, but down here I pay my subs $65.00-$75.00 per hour. With the experiance you have and a newer truck with an 8 1/2 foot blade, you should get paid on the higher side of your area. Good luck!ussmileyflag
  3. the intimidator

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question :) anybody in southern ontario care to chime in I have two meetings set up next week for work as a sub would like to go in with a bit of info behind me
  4. snowtech

snowtech Member

all my subs get paid by the stop and all the sub work we do is by the stop. so i guess i am of no help to you but it protects everyone from sandbaggers
  5. the intimidator

Thanks yeah I bet that does help keep everybody honest. I have a meeting set up for wednesday with a landscaping company to talk about doing sub work with them what should I take with me to the meeting besides myself pictures of my truck n plow and insurance papers? Thanks alot guy's I am wanting to go into this season with as much info as I can and I would like to look and be as professional as I can about it all. I just put all the papers in as well to set myself up as a limited liability company should hear back this week with all the conformation and business number and gst number.
  6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Where are you located?

Is that a V Plow you have?

My subs get anywhere from $85-$110 an hour dependant on what they have, and how well and quick they can knock sites out. Some may say I'm crazy for paying so much, but the way i see it is its no use paying less hourly and then they milk it.

I wont consider anyone with a straight plow. V plow minimum, or expanding plow preferred.
  7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I like that requirement. Will have to consider following suit.
  8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

You'll find prices all over the place for subbing.... like everything else its regional.... my subs have straight blades and v boxes and they get paid $50 per hour
  9. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

So, are you gonna get rid of all your subs that have a straight plows....Are you gonna pay a guy more if he has a V-plow verses a Powerplow (Wideout,XLS, Blizzard)..Or are you gonna pay more for the Power Plow......:salute:
  10. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

i got a 05 silverado 1500 7 1/2 hd i get 65 a hr from massussmileyflag
  11. the intimidator

Thanks for the help guy's It is a straight blade I am running and I don't feel it is any less effective then running a v-plow, I do know That in certain situations and conditions a V-blade will outperform a conventional straight blade. But not to hire people because they are running straight blades is a little out their so let's say a guy goes out buys a truck n puts a 9 foot v on the front does that automatically make him lets say 40% more efficient then the guy running a 8'6 straight blade??? But hey if it works for you then more power too you :)
  12. the intimidator

I am in Orangeville Ontario sry forgot to post that before thanks for the help everyone
  13. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I pay my subs flat rate per push of properties. That way they can set their hourly wage by how good of a job they do and how quickly they get it done.
  14. the intimidator

Thanks alot I'll post back later tonight and let you guy's know what happens at my meeting this afternoon.
  15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

If you don't think a v blade is more productive than a straight blade its probably because you haven't owned one. Do yourself a favour and put some wings on that straight blade of yours and make yourself a little more marketable.

Start a new thread on the topic or use the search button and read away.

BTW-I'm only speaking from 15 years experience running multiple units of both,... and not only on pickups...but then again, what does that matter these days.

Good luck this winter.
  16. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Amen Brother! what happened to valuable experience or resources?! if you don't have the experience get it. If you don't have resources go get someone to help ya....or a good ol' trusty loan!
  17. the intimidator

Okay I know they are more effective when used when conditions warrant them cutting threw drifts is one thing I would love to have a v blade for but I make do You are still making 3+ passes on a long drifted drive straight or v cutting drifts V middle-left side-right side straight blade knock the drifts down-right side-left side V is less stress on you're truck although more weight so it equals out imo. I have never used a V as a scoop so I have no comment their I can see that being really effective cleaning up windrows ect I also would love to put wings on my plow is something I am considering adding this winter Or for next season.

I had a good meeting this afternoon was impressed with them and they seemed to be impressed with me and my truck and experience as well as my desire to get into it subbing instead of jumping in head long means all I have to focus on is pushing snow and maintaining my truck leaves alot more time to learn to finesse the art of plowing Thanks guy's for not turning this thread into a war Im only looking to learn and don't mind some healthy discussions :)
  18. duramax-king

duramax-king Senior Member

I get $75 an hour, no matter what truck/ blade size. Mississauaga ontario/