1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are you paying for seasonal equipment leases?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by srl28, Aug 9, 2009.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Trying to crunch some numbers and see if maybe purchasing a piece of equipment is better for us. We do commercial and residential landscaping the other 6 months of the year so we could keep a small backhoe or skid steer, even a small articulated loader busy throughout the year. I have some numbers from bobcat for a s250 at $1500.00 per month, just with a regular bucket, no pusher, we would supply that.

My 2 questions are:

Whats better in our sitiuation do you think? Leaseing for just the winter and returning it at the end or finding something and buying it, knowing we would make larger payments but at least have something to show for at the end of the season.

What do you guys do? How much are you paying for your winter leases and for what type and size machine? Bear in mind we will be plowing a large department stores lot and need the machine to also load salt and possibly move snow, so anything with a bucket will do.
  2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I rent only because i dont need one in the summer. If i watch the hours i can rent it for $1000 a month for a s205. If i go over on hours it jumps to $1500. So $1500 x 5 month average winter lease term in my area = $7500. I would guess that is about half the price of a decent used unit. Lease or buy, you will have to work the numbers.
  3. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

I lucked out last year!

One of my subs that is already running 2 trucks for me offered his 89 590D backhoe to me for a grand ALLL WINTER and it came with a 8' blade with quick pins so i kept it at my biggest factory as well as my salt and it worked out tits.

Hope i get the same deal this year.