1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are you paying for bagged salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

no matter where you are located.. buying per skid, how much is it per bag?

I get some of our salt, most of it actually, through a company i sub some work from, they sell it to me direct at their cost of about $3.60 a bag...

I swear i have seen it at home depot PER bag, i mean you can buy ONE bag for $5.09 or $5.19 per bag.

I was going to buy 3 skids from my big landscape supply company in central NJ, and because i didnt pre-order or am not ordering by the truck load, 18 skids, its $5.05 a bag if i get at least each skid, WTF?

Ive seen tons of places in the $4.xx range, and my own place which doesnt even sell to the public is over $5? After sales tax thats $5.40 a bag or something.

I pay $173 a skid so far/previously until now
    Id have to dish out $259 a skid at that price, isnt that too high when buying whole skids?
  2. mkatrucking

mkatrucking Junior Member
    from Iowa

Farm and Fleet.. Eastern Iowa, $298.00/skid plus tax!!!!!!! Rip off. Bought ours for 3.19/bag in June. Going for 6.00plus now...
  3. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

6.47 for a 80lb bag at Menard's
  4. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

i'm pretty sure the guys up here are payin' $2.99 a bag for 40 kg's
  5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We pay $5 a bag, but our supplier warehouses 70 pallets of salt and 15 of calcium for us so paying the extra for safe, dry storage with a forklift is good for us, besides the owner of that business lives about 3 blocks away. We keep about 5 pallets in our yard but if we run out she's close and we just pick her up day or night if ther roads are bad.
  6. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

5 plus here for $50. No rock salt, only solar.
  7. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Been buying one pallet at a time here in central NY for 170 a pallet. thats with 30-80lb bags. (2400lbs)
  8. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I just paid 6.13 per 80# friday night in Buffalo.
  9. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

$3.28 a bag. 49 on a pallet for $161
  10. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

$254.25 per pallet 49 bags at 50#.
  11. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

What about ice melt? what is everyone using? Is that Road Runner stuff any good? or Traction Melt . I can buy that at $9.00 bag now .
  12. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

well i guess my $5.09 a bag or whatever isnt way off then.. sure is a lot more than the other guys though.

we use safer than salt mostly, $8.xx a bag, and its at the lower end like $8.15 or something in pallets.
  13. topgunn

topgunn Junior Member

its 6.50 to 7.00 a #50 bag per pallet picked up in here. its cheaper by the truck load if its available.
  14. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Solar Salt -- $4.25 per 50 lbs.

De-icer -- $9.23 per 50 lbs.

Started the year with 2 semi loads.....working on our 5th semi right now:dizzy:
  15. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

How do you like performance of the Solar salt? I can get that for 3.75 per 50# bag pallet

16. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Pay 192.00 a pallet. 49 50# bags. Glad I am not paying above 4 per bag. (yet).

17. Post Mowing

Post Mowing Member

Solar salt $4 at farm and fleet on sale
  18. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Salt in the winter is getting to be like the gasoline
    Tycoons...supply and demand drive the going price...since we need it in the winter the demand goes UP UP and UP for about 3mos. SOOOOOoooo they "hide" it in their storage buildings and then rumors go around that there is none ( really there is plenty) so the wholesale people mark it up 25% and the retailer mark's it up 100% so YOU pay 3.99 to 9.99 for the 1.25 bag of freakin dumb Axx salt !!!!!!

See where Im going here ????? Drive down the demand and we can win this Piss'n match :gunsfiring:
  19. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

depot is selling 50's for 7.49 here ,lmao
  20. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

Both produced by Scotwood and are 96-99% sodium (rock salt). $9.00 seems a little stiff for rock salt.