1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are you MN guys charging for sand salting??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nobullfrogs, Dec 1, 2008.

1. nobullfrogs

nobullfrogs Junior Member

I got my first load cheap, but definately will not get so lucky the next time. I want to charge enough to cover myself and not give my customers a large price increase.

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

you need to charge the price that will make you money. It is simple as that. You paid X amount per ton and you want to make this much off it. It is a guessing game to try and compete with others due to the fact every company has a different amount of overhead and resources that go into there pricing. Is this your first year salting. If not then you should have a good idea of what to charge. And if your first load was cheap then get another load cheap right now so you dont have to worry about the price.... I got a lot of salt and maybe the price will go down and I will lose out, but it may go up and I may make more money. You never know when it comes to weather and snow, so you throw your hat in the ring and see what happens....

3. nobullfrogs

nobullfrogs Junior Member

True. this is my first year actually managing the snow removal operations. I am mostly concerned about sand salt pricing coming out of the cities right now. $140 / ton is what i'm hearing. I will probably base all my pricing off of me paying $140 / ton for now, since that is the going rate right now.

4. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

$40 per 50lbs bagged applied. This is how I have always charged.

5. Kingwinter

Kingwinter Senior Member

charging the customer $200 a ton put down is not out of the question this year.

6. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I would put all of your number together and see how much you need to charge. Also try to get a feel for the area on what your market will allow. I have heard price from $175-$225 spread, in Rochester.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah I was charging $1600/ton for a while but I though I was too cheap, so I raised my prices.:rolleyes:

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

What is sand salt?:confused:

9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yeah, at $40 per 50# bag, i would love to be getting $1960 per pallet, mySELF! I would be paying ALOT of subs to push more lots for me just so i can sell the salt.

10. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Straight salt spread, $225+ easy.

Salt/sand $175+ easy

But, I do not spread/sell by the ton spread. I contract a per time cost, light and heavy cost per lot. So when all is said and done I get over $300 per ton spread, which is on the borderline of not enough based on what we are paying for salt.

11. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Seriously?

12. cretebaby

Kinda LOL:rolleyes:

13. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

10-15% salt, the rest sand, mixed. Quarries around here sell quite a bit of it. I keep 10-20 tons on hand. It is the best alternative to use when temps hover below 10F and aren't coming up for a day or so.

14. cretebaby

And it costs $140/ton?

15. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

$140 ton for salt/sand mix here.

16. cretebaby

If mix is 140 how much is striaght salt?

17. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

You are paying or spreading for $140?

18. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

It doesn't cost anything near $140 a ton here. Less than half that is its cost.

19. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

not sure on straight salt, i'll find out a friend uses stright salt. Salt/sand cost $140 to purchase. 2yard min

20. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

wow lots of confusion here, and a lot of bsers too! LOL