1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are you guys using to plow your big lots?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by aspenplow, Nov 29, 2010.

1. aspenplow

aspenplow Member

So I just picked up several large lots (Super Walmarts, Office Depot, American Furniture, and some local business's. What are you guy using for your big lots?

2. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

one of these

if it gets more than a 500' push, i start having issues.

atv_snow_plow1.jpg

3. BlackBirdWS.6

BlackBirdWS.6 Member

4. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

You recieved the contract, but you do not have a plan or costing or machinery?

5. snowpushn420

snowpushn420 Junior Member

??

I'm not trying to be a dick,but how did you take on-bid these jobs without knowing what your costs will be? If your not sure the equipment your going to use this could vary, If you end up having to rent to cover these few accounts you could lose money.. Don't even mention hauling or melting if we have a good year..

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Heres a better Question.....What are you using???....:help:

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

384 Toro single stage snow blowers and 2 shovels

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Ahh.....Good luck with that. :dizzy:

For a new guy, you hit the nail on the head. :salute:

9. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

you might worry, will I get paid if I get it cleaned.

10. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

well, obviously you would have your essentials, some 1 ton plow trucks, perhaps a skid steer or two at each place, a backhoe, a loader all with a protech or similar pusher box. This truly is a scary scenario for you to ask this question very late in the game, I bid several in my area ( and at what I think is base line low to turn a profit) and i didnt get them, they were bid wayyyy low, and we have equipment to use....with that being said I wouldnt sign any paperwork unless you are sure u know u can handle the work and turn a profit, key word turn a profit... GOod luck

11. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks RepoMan - new to the board (been a lurker occasionally for years now), but not new to business or basics of Money 101.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.... or a way to loose your house, your shirt, and everything else

12. aspenplow

aspenplow Member

I currently have a 2007 & 2002 gmc 2500hd both with Western MVP's, 2006 Ford F150 with a Snow-away, 2008 F250 with Meyer Ag 7.5 Express Mount with wings, 1995 L8000 Ford single axle dump with a 12 foot wide Valk Light Rev Snow Plow and Flink Chemical Anti Skid Spreader, 2006 John Deere 280 series and an older 8875 skidsteers, and a few older plows for backups. As far as those that think I'm trying to figure out what I need... I have plenty of equipment and man power to do these lots, I am simply wondering what other people use. I recieved the contracts because for 7 years now I have provided excellent service to the majority of commercial lots in my town. Word has spread and clients have come to me.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  13. aspenplow

aspenplow Member

MIsread.. My bad Goel.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  14. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I use everything in my signature but most of my lots are about half the size of a large retail lot.

15. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Sounds like you have an ample amount of equipment. Most guys use wheel loader and backhoes with push boxes on those size lots.

Congrats on building your biz and gaining new clients, however the reasons you listed are not why USM and other companys have contacted you. They do not care about the service, only the price. They offered to pay me less than 1/3 of my bid for a local Walmart. I declined and they found someone to do it at their price.

16. aspenplow

aspenplow Member

Believe it or not.. USM came up with the price and it will turn a profit (it's in an area that only gets 2 -4" build up maybe 10x a season). The plan is to leave the "Beast" (L8000 with 12' plow and sander), skidsteer, Polaris Ranger with 60" plow, and one of the trucks there to take care of it since its about 45 minutes from me.

17. SaltGuy1

SaltGuy1 Junior Member

1 skid loader with 10' Pusher and 1 truck with 9' straight plow to clean up per lot will be plenty up to 8" of snow.

18. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Still not sure I get it?

You start the post by stating you have JUST picked up "SEVERAL" large lots (Super Walmarts *plural*, Off Dep, AF and other local businesses....

You then list off equipment - but are you not keeping ALL your current regular customers?
    What equipment is dedicated for those jobs?

Then, you give us a list of equipment to be used at (i am assuming a single Wal Mart) (USM) of The Beast, a skid steer, a truck and a 4 wheeler. In my opinion, LIGHT, Light for the lot size, unless you always expect no snow - you are going to get BURNED when a larger storm arrives, and if 3 hit this year.....

What about the "Other" Super Wal Marts (from your *plural statement*, and the Off Dep, the AF, etc.... What equipment do they get.

Not trying to peeve you off, just curious from someone that overplans to keep customers happy....

19. aspenplow

aspenplow Member

LOL.. Yeah sorry about that.. To clarify, there is one Super Walmart, Office Depot & American Furniture are one large lot, The other business's ARE my regular customers.

20. paponte

paponte Senior Member

...Make up your mind before you post.