1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are you guys using for ballast

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by raptorman03, Nov 15, 2004.

1. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

What are you guys using for ballast in your trucks?
  2. drplow

drplow Senior Member

50# sand bags from home depot. lasts about three seasons, also great for getting unstuck.

JPMAKO Senior Member

Sand/ Salt and Shovels

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I use 50lb. bags of salt.
  5. Don.EMS

Don.EMS Junior Member

8 Packs of shingles
  6. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I have been banging my head ver this same thing for the past while. I want to make sure that I can have neough weight int he back of the pickup to hold it on the road (just put a Blizzard 810 on my GMC 2500), but I want to make sure also that I can empty the truck in case I need to throw in my sander. I have a seperate sanding truck but I also have a backup sander that can go in the pickup - just in case I need it. If I just put sand in the back, it freezes solid and is there until spring (I did that by accident one year). Great for weight but can't come out. I find that sand bags freeze up and slide all over like blocks of ice. Best idea I got so far is taking a good size truck tire and filling it with cement, put a chain in it so it is easy to lift out with the loader. I figure that if I am going to have to put the sander in, I am going to have the loader running anyhow so getting the tire out should be no prob.

Keep coming with your ideas, I will check back again later today too.
  7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Tubes of sand strapped to the bed with ratcheting tie downs, using Ancra anchors that are removable when not in use.
  8. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

50lbs bags of salt or ice melt wrapped up in a tarp! The tire sound good as long as you can strap it down. I would hate to hit something & that baby come through the back glass! :waving:
  9. Up North

Up North Senior Member

in the past I've used 50lb bags of salt or sand. Prefer water softner salt so I can use it at the end of season. I also cut 2 boards, 2x6's the width of my box and slide them into the slots on the sides of the box, one in front of wheel well and one behind the wheel well. That keeps the salt from sliding around much. I will use this method again this year.

10. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Oh, guaranteed. I was going to put a piece of chain in the cement hanging out. That would give me an easy something to hook on to to lift it in and out and also to strap from. I just find that with a bunch of bags of stuff that they end up all freezing together. I need to have the option of pulling this out at any time. Like once something freezes in there, it stays in there. I don't have a heated shop that I can drive in to and let it all thaw out. Maybe it doesn't get so cold where some of you guys are :) Will keep thinking though
  11. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I use 10- 70 lb tube sand. LIke Upnorth I have a "H" frame that slips over the wheel humps. The tube sand and a milk crate fit in the center for my chains.

I have it all strapped down with ratchet straps to keep it all in place.
    It also allows for clear space on the end of the bed for carrying stuff.

I have a soft tonneau cover over the bed also.............geo
  12. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Like once something freezes in there, it stays in there. I don't have a heated shop that I can drive in to and let it all thaw out. Maybe it doesn't get so cold where some of you guys are Will keep thinking though
    You are right, it dosen't get as cold here. I like your idea for weight & the ease of loading - unloading. :waving:
  13. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

i use old tire tubes and take the sand out of the bags n empty them into there. Never wears out. Get em heavy enough and they won't slide. ;)
  14. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I might try that tire tube idea this year. The bags don't last so long for me, as they are usually stored outside in the off season. Good idea, thanks.
  15. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I use 2 - cast iron farm tractor front weights (80 lbs each) anf 4 - 60lb bags of tube sand set on top of the two cast iron weights. These all set on top of a 2'x4' sheet of plywood with a 2"x6" screwed to one edge. The 2x6 sits into slots in the bedliner to keep the hole mess right behind the rear wheels and to keep it from sliding (much). It can get dislodged if you hit a really bad bump thouh. So I may toss a ratchet strap (or two) on the whole mess to better anchor it.

The two best I have ever seen were a cast block of concrete a friend of mine had made to just fit behind the wheels of his one ton boat hauler and the 4x8 sheet of 1/2" steel plate my grandfather used in his plow truck. The sheet steel was great. We had it around to use when we needed to get a fork truck out onto soft ground and it didn't take up any useable space in the bed.
  16. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I never had ballast in my old jeep, I think for the Ford Im going to get one of those plastic totes you store things in and fill it with 10 50lb bags of play sand from home depot.

Im hoping the plastic tote keeps them dry enough and make it easy for me to remove them if I have to, and plan on keeping it right between the wheel wells with 2x4s going across into the notches in the bed liner.
  17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I know you are supposed to have the ballast all at the back of the truck. If you use 8 2'x2' patio stones side by side on the truck bed you would not have to take them out. Just put your salter on top. I guess you would have the extra weight of the patio stones when you are salting though. They are very easy to get out. I have used this because I can still use my truck during the winter plus I can load the snow blower right on top.
  18. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

thats a good idea, plus like you said- it wont really be in the way if you need to actually use the bed of your truck for something, alot of guys around the boat yards use cinder blocks, they are 35 pounds each but also take up alot of space.
  19. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I have one pallet of salt in each truck using the 50lb bags.
  20. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

I got lucky. I have 2 counter weights from an aircraft tug. Solid blocks of cast iron with a lifting ring on top. 800# each with two 2500# ratchet straps through the rings on each.