1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are you getting? (mpg)

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by EGLC, Nov 9, 2007.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I'm getting 17mgp with the truck in my sig line. So what are you getting?

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

lately 10 city 11 highway but ive been letting it warm up a little in the mornings

3. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

Is that for a Dodge? What are the specs on the truck?

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

sorry i didnt notice this was the dodge forum. but no its the truck in my sig

5. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

according to the overhead, I get between 16 and 18. There are days that it reads somewhere in the 15's too. When hauling my small TLB, it drops right on down to 11 and lower if I'm climbing the hills. This is with a new 07, 3500 SRW 6.7 with 6spd auto and 410 posi's.

6. db27

db27 Member

06 2500 cummins quad 4x4 long bed with 500lb+ tool box and im getting 16-17.5 around town hand calculated driving very slow and conservitave.Started out new at 14-15 around town now at 12k miles 16-17.5 hope it keeps getting better:eek: cause diesel is 3.40 to 3.50 now per gallon:gunsfiring:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  7. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

That 17mpg I'm getting is with only 1500 on the odometer!!! Not even close to broken in!!!!

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

EG is that your overhead at 17 ? When my truck was new it said 19 mpg all the time :rolleyes:
    In my experience the overheads on most trucks embellish the real number. Add a chip and it will jump up real nice. My bro's Ford SD did the same thing. When I had the Quadzilla on the overhead would read 22.6 around town, it never changed from the 15.6 hand calculated. I took the chip off for now. My Buddy has the edge juice on his 06 and it did the same, his average and highway mileage is the same as well, just tricked the overhead into inflated numbers LOL.
    17 hand calculated is damn good. My overhead is allways off 2 miles to the gallon. So the 17.6 it claims is usually 15.6 around town on an average. That is hauling tools with the cap on.
    There is ZERO fuel savings in the light duty diesel pickup range now. Im sure sales will tank real hard when diesel hits $4 a gallon this winter. I drive the gas trucks now more then the diesel. I love my diesel truck, but short of towing heavy, or pushing heavy wet snow the gassers are by FAR a better value.

9. 06slvrctd

06slvrctd Member

I'm getting anywhere from 17-19 according to the overhead, haven't hand calculated recently. Once it hit 10K miles or so it got a lot better, was getting 12-14 before. It is worse in the winter though, I guess because it let it idle alot more to warm up etc.

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

my cummins will get around 15-17 city depending on how im driving her.....on the highway 20-22 but i have had it up to 25 on a 1000 mile trip

11. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I am around 17mpg taking it easy on the truck. I average around 500 miles per tank and have 77k on the truck.

12. TJS 78

TJS 78 Junior Member

My '07 Hemi is averaging 14 Highway & 12 City with 7500 miles on the odometer. Will I get better gas mileage as the truck breaks in?

13. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

My 2003 5.9 diesel gets about 19 20 running hiway with minimal load. I run Sunoco Gold diesel and a shot of lucas in every tank.
    Now I see you have a 2007,

I also have a 99 and 2001 both dodge diesel also they didnt break in and get better milege till 90 to 100 000 kms

To get the best milege I have found hiway running just below 2000 rpms and you will get the best best.

This your first diesel?

BTW my 2003 has 349 000 kms.... they keep going and going and going.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  14. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

This is actually my first truck. (I'm only 17) But my dad has had diesel before and I know what they run like.

15. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I get about 15-17 with truck in sig Low gears and Higher hp motor do me in a bit

16. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

BIGDAVE.. do you mind posting a pic of your truck, it sounds awesome. I was thinking about some fender flares on my 2003 ctd.

17. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That is right on for me as well, do you have a programmer? I will hit that magic 25 mpg on the way to the cabin with a tail wind and the cruise set at 67mph. May take an extra 10 minutes to get there but its worth it to me.

18. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

That's just like my 2008 hemi - gets 12-13mpg solid as a rock with mixed city, highway, towing, whatever. But I have yet to run a complete tank through it with some consistent miles like a road trip.

No, it will not get better with age, that's a diesel thing.

19. dRam2500CT

dRam2500CT Member
    from USA

My hemi gets roughly 10-11mpg. It sees short, usually city trips, with a little highway mixed in.

Constant highway travel I can get around 13mpg.

20. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

Wow I am getting no where near what you guys are. I have an 03 Ram 3500 with cummins and get 11-13 city and 18-21 highway.... says the overhead computer. At 3.65 a gallon this truck is costing me a fortune to fuel!