1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are you charging for ice melts?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by obrionusa, Dec 2, 2008.

1. obrionusa

obrionusa Junior Member
    from Indiana

Just wondering what everyone is charging for ice melt? I use a three blend -5* ice melt. It cost me $8.40 per 50# and I charge $60-65.00 per bag used. I only have one Dr. office that uses one bag and a bank that uses three bags. Is this competitive for the surrounding Indianapolis area? Clearing sidewalks of snow is additional.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Are you hand placing each individual piece? With a tailgate spreader I only get 16 dollars per bag spread. If you can get it go for it, but don't be surprised if this is the only year you get it.

3. mustangmike45

mustangmike45 Member

60-65.00 per bag:eek: I pay around 6.00 per bag and feel like I am making a good profit at 12.50 per bag spread. But hey if they pay it, more power to you!

4. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

How much coverage do you get out of a bag of ice melt ?

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Holy S**T!!:eek: We charge $15.00 per 50lbs. applied.

6. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

$5.50 cost per bag. Applied at $17/bag, with a 2 bag minimum (even if I don't use that much, still charged at $34, spreaders aren't cheap).

7. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

I multiply my cost by 2.5 to 3.75 for bagged...

8. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

wow!!! I charge $2 a pound applied for ice melt, and have for several years. if a site requires 100s of pounds I will cut them a break at $1.50. I am not talking about rock salt for drive ways but ice melt on walks. I have to buy it (cost $.20 per lbs.), store it, load it into a truck, plow a lot, put my boots back on, open the bag, spread it on walk, but the empty bag back in the truck, fill out a work order to get paid, put the empty bag in the dumpster at the end of plowing, pay the garbage service to dispose of it, and then bill it out. typical commercial I do takes 20 - 100 lbs per service. I sometimes think I don't charge enough for all the hassle. don't give your hard work away. a commercial co is saving money at these rates vs having a maintenance guy do it union wages. and he's not gonna be there at 2 am to get it done.

9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

it will range from $16 a bag for rock salt at $.20 per lb to $25+ per bag for specialty ice melter at $.50per lb.

10. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I'm in the southern part of the state where we average 14" of snow per year and I charge .55 lb. for rock salt and .75 lb for ice melt.plus a $35 truck charge. Maybe I need to up my rates some more.

James

11. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

I am in Avon, and i have a couple on the west side of indy. I have been charging $25 per 50lb bag plus addtional for clearing sidwalks.

12. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

they would laugh at me if i charged that much....they would take their butt down to wal mart and buy 3 bags of Roadrunner for $6.50 a bag and do it themselves....at $65 per bag you are clearing$170 in about 5-6 minutes...keep up the good work and good pricing though!!!!

13. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

3x whatever the bag costs

14. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

$0.45 a pound for salt.

15. obrionusa

obrionusa Junior Member
    from Indiana

The price I charge includes trip charge. Sounds like everyone is bouncing around from .40 lb - $1.50lb
    I have been out three times this year on ice melt and only had enough snow to shovel once.

16. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

Sounds like I need to move to were you guys live. I have a hard time believing nobody isn't lowballing you at $65 a bag and $2 a pound...give me a break, I get low balled at $20 a bag. Store it, load it, throw it means nothing around here. $2 a bag sounds like a joke.

17. ejherron

ejherron Junior Member

I am getting $20 per 50lb bag of rock salt. My jobs are all within 20 miles and this price includes my travel time.

18. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Here is the question I have for the guys that are getting so much for salt. So lets say you plow a 30,000 square foot lot that takes a little less than an hour, and I know everything varies by region but lets say on average you are looking to get $100 per hour, so you bill that customer $100.00. A lot that size requires around 500 pounds of salt, I know this from experience because we do 4 lots that are that size.

So a $100 plow job, and $250 (at $25 per bag) for salting it? How the fuc* do you justify that to your customers? I mean I really want to know, because I will do it. WOW that is unbelievable!!!

19. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

x2 at $250 on 33,000 sf i would probably put my customer out of business.....

20. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Question...why are we using bagged salt and not bulk?