1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are you changing for next year V2.0

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark13, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Let's try this again.

Since most are having a pretty good winter, what are you looking to change or add to your operation before next winter?

For me, I plan to replace my truck and add different tracks to my ctl.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  2. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Going to have more "per-push" accounts and hopefully a nice western wide out for my truck
  3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Maybe a new plow over the summer
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going to change up some accounts looking to hopefully get out of HOA work especially ones with walks. We had some nasty storms with extreme cold/wind this year, IMO there is to much risk with them due no good way mechaniclly to remove the 18"+ of drifted snow.
  5. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Currently looking for a used truck. Wanna redo the suspension in the Chevy. More or less looking to get out of the apartment complexes I plow and pick up more straight forward lots.
  6. EPM

EPM Member

Some type of paperless system for driver service logs. My office manager had almost 60 hours into January invoicing.
    New truck, salter and push box for the loader.
  7. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

you should look into some of the phone apps for keeping track.of.time and.location. I.use an app.called.timepunch light, pretty slick for what I.use it.for
  8. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Add a second tractor/blower.... maybe 2 more...
  9. forwhlr989

forwhlr989 Member

looking to add a new primary truck/plow and maybe add another truck
  10. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Drop some residential and add more commercials.
  11. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Going to swap my 8' Fisher straight blade for a 8'6" xtreme v
  12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Looking to add a bigger Gehl Skidsteer or 908 cat loader if I can find one that has the road gear.

Add a 10' pusher Thinking Boss B10 if I go with a Loader If I go the skid steer then may buy the Sno blade 9ft model from Pro-Tech

Build a bigger salt bin

Add a pre wet system to my V box

Thinking about updating my 9.6 V plow to a new model its getting 5 years old

Its time to raise my prices I do this every 5 years
  13. Snow Business 1

Snow Business 1 Junior Member

I used to use ATV's to plow sidewalks and got sick of them braking down every storm. Switched to 2 stage Toro 26" snowblowers and have not regretted it one second. They are amazing will easily go through 18" drifts. I watched one of my guys mow through a 4' pile of snow from a City truck. Best decision I made this year and I do quite a few large HOA's.
  14. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

my plan is to only do snow for those that I cut grass for. no more 1 time pushes or people who only use me for snow. also if needed I'm either gonna add a 2 stage snow blower or an employee.
  15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe plow

Maybe new truck

Maybe new lights

Maybe another fuel tank

Maybe another dog

Maybe another wife/GF

So many possible combos.
  16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

One of my large properties has been mostly unoccupied, so the service there was low priority and minimal sidewalk work... the loading docks didn't need to be done etc. Now the local Ambulance Dispatch is moving into that building, taking over all the remaining space in the building, so it is becoming a top priority job (since ambulances are a little bit important). Need to add another truck and driver. Deciding between a shortbox or a Jimmy/Blazer to keep it easy for them to drive with a winged Boss 8.2 V plow on the front and Arctic 8' pull plow on the rear.

For the extra sidewalks, I need more reliable and self sustaining sidewalk people. Looking at an small aluminum bodied Grumman van for them, roll up door and add a ramp on the rear. Room inside to carry blowers, ice melters, liquid sidewalk sprayer, etc. inside nice and dry AND lockable, so they don't all need to be unloaded after every shift. The one I'm looking at is an ex-postal unit with low kms... probably lots of hours tho, gotta go look this week. Its a diesel, which is good and bad... Its a shorty, so hopefully Joe Blow can back it up without destroying it.

Want to get liquids premixed and ready for pretreating sidewalks and prewetting on the spreader when the temps drop.

Maintenance and Repairs!!! Seems to be an endless list of little things that need to be done every year, this year is no different... BUT better to do it in the good weather than have it fail in the snow storms...

Endless paperwork needs to be caught up, too!! Record keeping, tax forms, etc. etc. I would like to have some office help this year too, even if its only a few days a month.

OH and I desperately need a vacation away from here, haven't had one in many many years... :/
  17. rjm06590

rjm06590 Member
    from de

Nice v box and maybe a skid steer if I find one for the right price.
  18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I want a 8.5 extreme v.
  19. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Might make a set of wings for my blade. Depends Im still debating on it. :D
  20. Tj4CX

Tj4CX Junior Member

I'm looking for a 18'x 18" steel blade that angles with a JRB coupler. The distribution center we plow constantly has trucks packing the snow down like concrete.