1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are these wires for?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by t-sig, Feb 10, 2011.

1. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

I just got this 2011 Chevy 2500 with plow prep, integral brake contoller, tow package, blah blah blah. I was under the dash looking at putting the plow wiring through and noticed half a dozen wires taped up under the dash. What are these for?

Thanks,

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

does it have a connector on the end of it

3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

If you didnt have the integrated brake controller I think they put wires there for an aftermarket one. I am not positive though but I saw something about the LMM's on Diesel Place. I have an 08 and no IBC and will be putting one in the Spring and need to find my wires.

4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm pretty sure those wires are for something else,just not sure what,but I do know they aren't for a trailer brake.I have heard rumors about gm putting a harness in that a remote start can splice into.My advice would be to call the service department where you bought the truck and ask them.Then post what you find out.

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Shoot a photo and post it.

Might be the new governmental spy satellite tracking system we've all been hearing about.

Maybe an unused wiring harness for an option you don't have? Factory NAV, phone or onstar system? I know some manufacturers wire all their vehicles with all the same harnesses for all available options so they don't have to pick and choose on the assembly line and make multiple harnesses and such...winds up costing a hair more for materials but they save alot in increased production volume and reduced tooling costs.

6. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

The wires do not have a connector on the end. I will have to take a pic and post it. I only took a quick look the first time and didn't trace them very far. I will take a pic this evening.

Thanks,