1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are these new Blizzard handheld's I'm hearing about?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by got-h2o, Nov 5, 2012.

1. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I've heard twice now about Blizzard handheld controllers for the PH1 style power plows? Anyone have any more info on them? At first I just assumed they were talking about the DD PH2 style ones like the Western MVP's and Wideouts, but is there such a thing for the early ones now? And I don't mean the touch pad.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Just as I suspected. I almost wonder if that's what I'm hearing about for the "Blizzard" one.

I just started a thread in the Western discussion forum requesting a schematic for the MVP handheld. If I can figure out how it's wired I plan to make an adapter harness to use one (or more) on my Blizzard(s).

5. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Hey, thats not a damn good idea. Let me know if you have some success!

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'll be sure to update with what I come up with ;-)

7. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I have one and like it way more than the shoe box.

8. GLS

GLS Senior Member

I also have one of the units you linked to.

I'm on the hate it side.

Too bulky to use as a "handheld". The buttons are not within reach, unless you have really long thumbs I guess.

Also, the "soft stop" feature is dreadful. The blade doesn't stop when you release the button, it can be difficult to get it back to straight! And you cannot "shake off" the snow by going left/right. Dumb feature if you ask me.

I do like that it easily stows in the center compartment of our backup truck where it's out of the way, but ready to go if needed.

I'll stick with the joystick for now, just wish it was less bulky.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the input!

10. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

I wouldn't mind tring one of the upc controllers you want to sell your used one GLS?

Wonder if you can stop the "soft stop" feature maybe that way don't have to use it.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  11. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Sorry, I gotta hang on to it. It fits nicely in the center console of the backup truck in case of emergency.

If anyone knows of a way to eliminate the "soft stop", let me know!

12. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

Well i broke down and ordered a UPC for the 810pp now i just got to get the plow deal i had for one fell thru so on the hunt before snow lol. Those guys are great i talked to james he hooked me up for my UPC i should have in few days. I sure hope it is a good controller i know they are great when comes to answering questions so time will tell.

13. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Controllers are a funny thing. I absolutely love the shoebox and don't want to replace my plows with the DD versions with the newer hand helds. Good luck with it.

14. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

I like the new handheld control.

Controllers are a funny thing. In spring of 2009 I sat in a room full of Wisconsin Blizzard dealers and we all proceeded to tell the DD product guys that they were nuts to replace the "shoebox." We all loved it. How did they think they could improve it? The discussion actually bordered on hostile. :gunsfiring:
    That fall I got my 2009 86110LP. I opted for the handheld control because it seemed easier than finding 8 detent positions on a joystick. I hated it for the two hours. By the third hour of plowing my mind had adapted. At the end that first eight or ten hour plow shift I noticed something ... my hand was not tired or sore at all. Thumbs Up After a morning of plowing with the old shoebox (joystick style) my index and middle finger were usually sore from rocker switches. Also, I could shift while operating the new control. I was sold. New handheld control beats all old Blizzard controls. :nod:

BUT ... the shoebox joystick is waaaayy better than PH2 joystick ... so if you still gotta have a joystick, I'm with you sven1277 :drinkup:

15. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

I got the UPC for the 810pp today fast shipping ,this think is great it's light not bulky the night lights are nice to have i wish it had the switch for the lights on it to instead of mounting it else where but all in all i think this is going to be a great controller. screw that big ass box that kill's your fingers and wrist by the end of the night lol.