1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are the pros and cons of these plows...?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JaimeG, Feb 21, 2009.

1. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Western MVP
    Fisher Xtreme V
    Boss Power V
    Meyer Super V

Would a power wing model be better than a v plow? On v plows, what trips, the edge or the whole thing?

2. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

all these new plows are bottom trip, the older v are bottom trip which is not the best for a v plow. the new fisher and boss get taller toward the sides which is better for a v plow. i think the meyer is the beefiest and it has a 1 3/4 high lift ram, and it has wing stops when the wings are toward the truck. also i believe all the plows have double acting cylinders accept the boss its not standard you have to buy the smart lock for them, if not when you back drag the wings will move. hope this helps. the new blizzards, western, and fisher expandable plows are pretty nice to. the new meyer straight blades have a new wing design that are able to scoop or any other position, if you want to go that way you dont have to worry about more problems from moving parts and stuck valves.

3. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

I forgot about the Sno-Way 28V.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Read through all the different blade forums and your question has been asked and answered many many times.

5. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

the snow way is about the same as the others, i like there plow that throws snow forward and to the sides, there plows seem heavy. my brother wants to get the fisher x blade straight or a v, they are stainless steel and are braced in all the rite areas.. i think the snoways are to complicated with more stuff to break, same with the boss. but then again all me and my brother plowed with is meyer and western. i would go with the plow that is most popular in your area and a plow that you can get parts for in your area.

6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

What are you plowing? Commercial, Residential? Roads?

7. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Commercial parking lots.

8. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

i would get the meyer or fisher, just my opinion.

9. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

What kind of trip do those have?

10. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

both are bottom trip which is really what a v plow needs so both sides can trip independently

11. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

But what if you hit something big and the bottom trip isn't enough?

12. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

honestly if you are new to the business i would get a straight blade with wings, on the new meyer plows they have wings that are full height and can be adjusted in any position, scoop etc. straight blades have less things to go wrong and are the beefiest .

13. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

I'm not exactly new to the business, I'm just looking to buy a new truck and don't know what plow to get for it.

14. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

the bottom trip, trips just enough to clear an obstacle , go to the meyer or fisher site it shows a good demonstration of how they trip. when they trip the edge goes past vertical and just glides over.

15. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

the trip edge is held on with many 1 or 1 1/16 pins so it is not going anywhere , when a trip edge trips it holds its load cause the top part of the plow does not trip . but newer full trips have a stop so they eill only trip so much. what kind of truck 3/4, 1 ton, dually, long bed etc

16. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I would say the fisher XVee, this will be my next plow. Trip edge is a plus and easy of on/off.
    Keep in mind where/who your local parts dealers are and who is open at 2 am when you break something and need a part or a whole plow to barrow until yours is fixed.

17. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

I think I'll look into a Fisher Xtreme V in Stainless Steel. I am getting a 05-07 Ford F-350, 4x4, Dually, Short Bed, Crew Cab

18. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

good choice its one of the strongest and has a good pump, and the sides of the wings get higher as they go out so it holds its loads even better. but i would also check out the new meyer super v

19. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

I think the stainless looks better than bright yellow.

20. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

if you want to go by looks, but the stainless with probably last longer.good luck, my brother likes fisher/western as they are the same company. i like meyer myself, but if has to be a fisher , definitely get the x blade