1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are the pros and cons of poly plows?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by c.schulz, Nov 29, 2005.

1. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Just like the title said.What are pros and cons?? Ive owned a steel plow for years and its been great but I like the idea of no stick and the rust factor would be less.Not much weight diff. between the two but what about using on the job facts and longevity??And of course cost?

Thanks Chris
  2. TEX

TEX Senior Member

well its a no stick plow new but what about a few seasons down the road when it has a few grooves cut in it(top layer of blade scraped off) by rocks and what not. just a thought. havent seen many thoughts on the poly.
  3. Allamand

Allamand Junior Member

I'll let you know in a month or two as to a Poly plow. Having the Sport-Duty installed today on a '04 F-150 Screw. I rolled my '02 2500 Dodge and had to trade in the 9'2" V-plow as the F-150 can't tyake 950lbs in the front.

Sport Poly is only 430lbs, which is a BIG weight differance over the other Poly blades and steel ones. I only plow my drive and that's 1/4 mile so hoping to have little problems. It is gravel so should see how well it holds up.

Now I just have to wait for the snow to come :)
  4. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

Ive run polys for 7 years now but i trade mine in every time someting new comes out. The snow comes off faster, less fuel consumption and never needs paint. I never cracked one. I will never go back.

DELBERT Member

on my v-blade poly the snow sticks just like on a steel one
  6. big flounder

big flounder Junior Member
    from ontario

paint or plastic

I have 2 poly v's and 1 steel v and the steel plow needs paint touch ups and the polly will need to be changed at some point. The poly has held its looks longer but they dont shed snow like they did new.Steel is cheeper,lighter and just keep it oiled with the undercoat gun often and it should stay mint. Save some coin on the steel plow and get the boss rubber deflector. It keeps some snow off of the truck but keeps most sand off of the windshield, We use sand with5% salt and its hard on the glass with the wipers.
  7. natueboy

natueboy Junior Member

Steel anyday

I have two 01 boss 8'2 poly v's and both plows are tweeked extremely bad from side to side. I talked to boss right after this happened and they said I had to have a curb with not one but both plows. Im the only one thats ever been in the one and I have never hit a thing with that plow. I just purchased three 06 2500HD w boss 8'2 steel and they seem much stronger. Def Steel!
  8. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I have poly plow and the snow sticks to it also. Maybe not as bad as steel but still there.
  9. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have 1 Boss poly V (9'2") and 2 Boss steel V's (both 8'2"). The poly plow is actouly heavier than the steel plow the same size because of the increased mulbord support frame on the poly. My poly is in good shape for 5 or 6 seasons. It has a few scratches and one small gouge. I wax it every spring. It seems to shed snow easier and hold less snow than the steel plows. It seems like you hit that magic temp and snow will stick to anything. I have never sprung the wings or anything else for that matter on any of the plows. I would buy a poly long before a steel just because of the minimum maintanance. Good luck.
  10. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I own a steel Western and a Boss poly. My Boss poly is way better. Snow flies off faster and farther but most importantly is the minimal amount of maintenance.
  11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

From what I have seen and heard, poly will not rust, except for the actual framework, but for me, steel is the way to go. My plow looks new because after every storm I wash, wax, and grease it. Then I come back over it with touch-up paint. People think its brand new!
  12. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

I'll never buy a poly again, they are weak in the bottom center, the paint on the boss plows weathers well and when its time a repaint makes it look like new, beat on a poly and what you have you will keep. Can't beat the strength of the steel plow, remember these plow's don't trip in the v or scoop position, makes for alot of stress on the wings.
  13. ABM

ABM Junior Member

I had the local spray in bedliner shop do the plow surface with spray on minus the grit that they normally add to make it non slip. It holds up extremely well and keeps the snow from sticking to the blade a lot better than just paint. It also keeps the front looking new and the rest of the plow I spray down with diesel fuel using a garden sprayer to keep the salt from getting to it... once in a while I have to clean up the backside and give it a touch up with paint to keep it looking new.

A few years ago I worked for a commercial plowing and snow removal company that hauled a lot of snow in dump trucks. They all had boxes with the exhaust routed along the sides underneath to keep rocks and dirt from freezing.. he had them sprayed with the bedliner on the inside every fall because over the coarse of the summer the rocks would wear grooves in the material but with the heat it made the snow slide right out.

I prefer the steel blades because if something breaks on a weekend or in the middle of the night it can be fixed right away with a welder... no such luck with the poly blades.
  14. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member