1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are the options for small parking lots?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Precedence, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

So i am trying to figure out what my options are for taking care of a series of small parking lots in our downtown area, the layout of the lots is typically a converted house where the backyard has been turned into a small 4 spot parking area. The issue has been the smallest plow/truck combo (2008 Dodge Ram 1500 with 7.5' Snoway straight blade) has a hard time even getting into these lots, some of them can't even be done completely with the truck due to the tight angles. The ones that we can get the truck into take way to long due to the maneuvers needed to get it done (think Austin Powers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGiQOCX9UbM).

I have looked up stuff on this site and i know Jeep Wranglers (CJ, YJ, TJ) with UTV plows are popular options. But what else would be an option? I have looked at bobcats or UTV's but the area the contracts are spread over is fairly large (10km's or so) so a road speed capable vehicle is pretty much needed. Blowing with a tractor is out since you would have to shoot into buildings or other lots.

Are Suzuki's an option? Jeep Cherokee's? Small trucks (canyon, Colorado, ranger)? Something else?

I just want to feel out the options before i go the Jeep Wrangler route.
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

have you looked into mini wheel loaders???
    or as pat suggested, that tool cat
  4. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Dependent on what other uses you may have for the equipment, I went the Jeep Wrangler route, and then to a Jeep Cherokee, liked the extra room and ability to carry snow blower and chemical. I always used Sno way plows due to weight and the down pressure feature. It also allowed great flexibility to plow parking spaces and bank drive thru's. Also, you can buy a clean 1990's Cherokee for 1/2 the price of a Wrangler.
  5. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

Had a jeep wrangler... just sold it! Thought i was going to put a 7'6 meyers on it so i dont think that you would have any problems with a smaller plow.. however you have to add ALOT of weight to make them comparable to a fullsize truck. I would look at something you can use all year not just for plowing... Wheelhorse would make more sense...
  6. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

Yeah people seem to think there used wrangler's are made of diamonds and gold. I looked at toolcat's or bobcat's but road speed seems to low to me to make it through the whole area in a reasonable time.
  7. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I agree, wrangler prices are outrageous. It took me forever to find mine, but it was well worth it. It just comes down to supply and demand. They are asking that much because they can get that much