1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what are the little white non-salt pellets called?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lowella, Dec 7, 2009.

1. lowella

lowella Junior Member

Hey all!

My first post here...looks like an awesome place! I am new to plowing, and am only handling one commercial lot that I own. I have an F250 '06 with Western 8' plow and ultramount II. My only difficulty so far was pounding in the pin to keep the plow attached, it took quite an effort so I'm hoping it doesn't ever break!!

I have a question on salting if anyone has a few minutes. I don't want to put rock salt on our new parking lot! I also don't have a spreader. I just need something to keep the ice down...there is concrete but I will try to keep whatever I use away from it.

The builder told me to use the little white pellets that look like pieces of styrofoam. I've seen it on ice before but not in stores and can't seem to find it. Does anyone know what it's called or maybe you'd have other recommendations. I read a bit here but can't tell what's best, I'm thinking maybe calcium chloride but can't find it locally. I am mostly concerned with making a mess to have to clean up in the spring, or hurting concrete or asphalt. Thank you!

2. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

Calcium Chloride Pellets
  3. lowella

lowella Junior Member

Should have known! Had to make sure. Thank you very much!
  4. lowella

lowella Junior Member

For anyone else viewing - someone else just told me that Magnesium chloride is much better, less corrosive and less harmful to environment. My google searches are consistent with this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  5. lukeb-cturf

lukeb-cturf Junior Member

mag and k chlorides are best.