1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Are The Best Wipers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WOOFSPLOW, Oct 20, 2003.

1. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

What are the best wipers when it comes to overall performance and build-up of ice on the blade. I used to have a pair of winter blades that had the rubber "boot" around the blade and that helped. I cant find them anywhere. Any suggestions. What about fluid, Prestone or similiar? Thanks to all.

P.S. It was 25 degrees out this morning and a few flakes mixed with the rain yesterday......It's coming!!:help:

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Heated wiper blades...

see Jerre !!!! he has them available:yow!:

3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Winter Wiper Blades

Carquest or NAPA should have the winter wiper blades in stock.
    If they don't, ask them to order them for you.
    :rolleyes: John................

4. XPECTATIONS

XPECTATIONS Member
    from SE PA

wipers

we run winter wiper blades from TRICO. we buy them at Walmart.
    we are trying heated for the first time on my truck, will keep you up to date.

ps. we also use RAINX DE-ICER fluid, it works great.

5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I put heated blades on this winter, if you don't want to go with the extra cost, the rubber cover winter units work better then the summer ones. Try spraying them with 3M dry silicon spray every couple of storms, it will stop most of the snow from sticking.

Bill

6. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

SILICONE ON THE BLADES IS INCREDIABLE, BILL BAILED ME OUT LAST WINTER WHEN ONE OF THOSE ICY STORMS WAS COVERING MY BLADES. BOUGHT A CAN SPARAYED IT ON THEN CALLED EVERYONE I KNEW TO ADVISE THEM TO DO THE SAME.

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I dont know if they are the best ones for winter use, but otherwise, ANCO makes the best wiperblades in my oppinion and they attach very easily. They also come with other little plastic pieces to attach them to alot of different makes. The attachments are very easy to use also, unlike some other namebrands I have used in the past, real garbage. I use the ANCO's all year round anyway, thats what I stock at my shop. Mike :waving:

8. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

Heated wiper blades...

Heated wiper blades...

where do you get those from?? how do they work hook up to a switch 12v?

snow jaw page

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Snow Jaw,

I got a couple sets of heated wiper blades from Jerre Heyer. He is from Erie, PA - and he can take order over the phone and ship it out to you. Yes, they do run on 12V and is controlled with a switch. :)

Send Jerre Heyer (the same as Plowsite screenname) a private message and he should be able to help you out. ;)

10. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

I use anco blades they seem to work the best.

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I can't say that I've had positive experiences with the ANCO blades every one of them I've put on has streaked from the get go. The Trico and Bosch ones seem to work pretty well for me.

12. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

Thanks for all the replys. I found the heated blades at Blizzard Blades.com They have a single "economy" blade kit at around $40. I think I am going to go with ANCO winter blades and the silicone spray thanks again.:nod:

13. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

What do you do in the summer when there is no need for a heated blade? Even if you put summer blades back on, arent there still wires from the heated blades flopping around? Thanks.

14. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

The heat on the blade is activated by a switch so you don't have the heat always running in the summer

15. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

I understand that it is able to be turned off...but the blades will wear out, correct? Using them in the spring and summer during rainy season should eat them up like any other wiper blade...so my question is...do you use these in the summer as well or is there a way to replace the heated blades with "summer blades" AND not have the heated blade wiring flopping around?

16. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

That's why God invented Zip-ties. I was not going with the heated blade this year, but if the winter blade and silicone don't work out I will next year.

17. wyldman

wyldman Member

I found some cheapie winter blades all Wal-mart,made by Pylon.They are rubber covered,but the rubber covering is extremly thick,unlike the thin rubber boots used on some blades.I was amazing at how flexible they were at low temps too.They also use sturdy metal mounting clip,so no plastic to break when they get cold.

18. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

RainX, RainX, Rainx.

Also get winter blades (wrapped in rubber) this will keep the blade flexible. Make sure your defroster works good.

I'd like to try the electric defroster tha you can install on the bottom 4-5" of the windshield. Anybody have this?

19. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Doesn't any types of silicone on a rubber blade streak and leave residue on the windshield?

I found that you can very easily recondition wiper blades by using "Blanket Cleaner" avail. at printer supply shops. Perhaps even a print shop might give you a small vial's worth if you bring a glass/metal one to them. The stuff is quite effective but, it doesn't last that long, especially if it snows day after day after day. It won't streak the glass and it truly makes the blade supple as neoprene!

20. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

just purchased teflon winter blade
    hopefully theyll work better the reg. winter blades

cardoctor