1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what are the best batterys

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by D&S snowplowing, Feb 7, 2010.

1. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

On a hunt for two batterys today for a 2004 gmc 2500hd with the 6.0L wondering what you all have found for the best buy in qaulity for your dollar i was thinking optimas just dont really wanna fork out 175 a battery
  2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Optimas are the way to go, Red top should be fine, most are about $140 each.
  3. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Odyssey Batteries are the best you're going to find for automotive applications, but they are not cheap by any means. http://www.odysseybatteries.com/index.htm

There are other high-end batteries out there too, but availability can be a problem.

Optima batteries are pretty much the "standard" premium battery in the auto aftermarket, and they are of good quality. Less expensive than an Odyssey, but more than a "standard" cell battery.

For standard type batteries, I've never had bad luck with Interstate batteries.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I just priced Optima $200 :dizzy:
  5. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

Ya they arnt cheap im between interstate n them i may just fork out the cash i mean i got winters out of the oem acdelcos with plowing....
  6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Unfortunately in one of my jeeps the only way to get dual batteries is WITH the Optima (I mount them on there side one on top of the other. In my other Jeep I have one battey in the back (with "0" gage wire to the front)
  7. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

one way to get odyssey batteries a little cheaper is to go with the Diehard Platinum, exact same battery, just in a different (less ugly) case

I think its about $190 for a group 65 Diehard Platinum

The best thing about them is that they are both a deep cycle battery, and a normal huge CCA battery all in one
  8. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

Go with a gel battery. Optima probably. All the best and good luck!
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The Optima is proven, I would go yellow. It will be interesting to see if the DieHard Platinums continue to receive good reviews. For "regular" batteries, I think it's hard to beat Interstate. They have a Dual Terminal Group 78 which is nice for us Chevy guys. Can't say I would recommend Exide. I am using one now manufactured in May 08. It's pretty well toast.
  10. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

I guess I have never seen the point of an Optima , much more $$$ , and IMHO no better than a good lead / acid battery except for the fact it is a sealed battery.

I generally run Interstate in my stuff , nary a problem in many years of use .

11. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Had probs with interstates. Yellow not bad if you like to spend and say i have an optima. 1 Die hard gold here elec plow, 2 strobes, radio, defrost, ipod. no problem ever.
  12. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

I ended up getting optima yellow tops...plus around here on a sunday its hard to find a place that sell interstates...i needed them on sunday and it was gonna be a cold day in hell before i put neverstarts or duracraps in my truck and our local sears even went out of business so id have to drive an hour to get die hards