1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are the bennie's of joining SIMA?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I know many of you are member's but being a smaller company what are the benefits I can expect form becoming a member? Honestly, after reading through the literature a lot of the little workshops were things we already do and practice. I already have decent contracts, I already get good discounts on plows and parts if needed. I'm not trying to be smart here but a few years of experience and common sense goes a long way. I do want to grown my but just wondering if its worth it.
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

In all honesty I think the networking is what makes it worth the money. If you take the time to go to the Sima show in RI next year, you'll know what I mean. Between the classes and the people you meet, the membership seems very reasonable. Also I alays look forward to the Snow Business maginzine. With the referral deal Sima has on now for $130, how can you go wrong.

Here's some points of the Sima site also.

 Education
    o Training Videos (7 Available)
    o Recorded online Web-Training
    o SIMA buddies: Designed for members in their first year. New members are paired with a seasoned SIMA member; the buddy is available to answer questions and be a resource when needed.
    Discounts on education…
    o Annual Snow and Ice Symposium…this year, Louisville, KY 2009
    o Regional Training sessions…happen every spring and fall

 Networking at events like the Symposium

 Marketing: SIMA offers discounted marketing brochures to members to help them sell their snow and ice removal services

 Website Resources and Information
    o Snow Business magazine, comes out 6 times a year
    o SIMA e-newsletter, The Update, monthly
    o SIMA membership mailings and updates
    o Website updates and announcements

 Tools to help members
    o Contracts, production rates and other helpful forms on the website
    o SIMA Learning Center
    o Industry related articles / facts
    o Save money with the SIMA Savings program
    o SIMA member search…new and improved!

 Certified Snow Professional (CSP)
    o Distinguish yourself from all other snow contractors by becoming a CSP! Be the best in the industry by concentrating on Business, Human Resources, Marketing, Sub-Contractors, Snow & Ice Science, Snow & Ice Operations and Techniques.

 Recognition: SIMA Awards Program
    o Excellence in Business award: General and Affiliate Members are eligible to nominate their company. Up to 5 Excellence in Business awards can be given out each year at the symposium, 1 for each General Member category (there are four of those) and one for Affiliate members.
    o Employee of the Year: Any member can nominate an employee to win this award, which is presented at the annual symposium
    o Safety Awards: SIMA has just added a Safety Awards program. Any general member can apply to receive one of these awards, contact SIMA for information.

3) What can SIMA do about finding me an insurance provider?
    SIMA has a list of providers that we know offer the proper amount of coverage. Contact the office to get these names or go to the SIMA Learning Center for more. But, it is definitely dependent on their location. Also, talking to a SIMA buddy are good ways to get to talk to someone who has the proper coverage.

4) Anti and De-icing Information?
    SIMA does have some great information available online. It can also be mailed to you, along with some helpful contacts. Snow Business magazine is also a good resource, and often publishes articles related to anti and de-icing.

5) How do I price a job?
    Generally, pricing is very dependent on the specific location and market of the contractor. There are many ways to price a job, and SIMA does have some information regarding these methods. The Buddy program is probably the best single source for pricing information, as well as the Snow and Ice Symposium. Regional training topics, especially our Build-A-Bid program available 2009, often touch on pricing information as well.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

And don't forget, I referred you Brian. :laughing: :laughing:
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I got a good laugh out of that.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry guys, I'm jumping in the the referral thing.

So Brian put me down as your referral (Grandview)
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Whats it worth to ya Mark,lol:drinkup:
  7. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

It's only $130 if for nothing else the magazine/networking and downloadable forms are worth it... I only joined this year when they lowered the price and think the magazine in it self has helped me learn more about the business end.
  8. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I would say the louisville strippers are worth joining for.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I was there strictly for work not pleasure. ;)
  10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I'd have to say I liked the shot girl at Sully's the best. I dropped $70 on her :eek:
  11. Turkey

Turkey Member

Where does one go to get in on the referral deal? Working to get from a sub to on my own sounds like a good source for info.
  12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

When you sign up you're asked if anyone has referred you. Then you say "Yes, Major League Lawn" did :D
  13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't be a W hore roy, ! just put in Grandview for your referral.
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You guys are shameless. :rolleyes:

It's Oomkes with 2 "O's". ;)
  15. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

16. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Dont worry, thanks to your OBGYN you willnt have the clap for very long....

..... Dont forget to tell sima about the time you got the clap form joining sima..... I mean Clapper & Company :D
  17. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

LOL - That cracked me up :drinkup:
  18. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Yeah and the Rocky Mountain Bear Hugs weren't too bad either............Who said work has to be booring
  19. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

Thinking I am going to join, J, I will say that you refered me.
  20. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

John, be careful you don't want to start a bidding war on who referred you LOL

Been a member for years. Honestly besides all of the things you learn at the Symposium it's the people you meet and different ways of approaching things that I find the most benefit.