1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What are the benefits of a V plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by eskals, Aug 22, 2000.

1. eskals

eskals Member

I have never done any snow plowing, but have been reading the posts here for some time. Everyone seems to recomend a V plow. But I wonder, what are the benefits of a V plow? It seems like it would be good for the initial push (by pushing the snow to either side), and then lose its effecitveness (you can only push to one side using half the with of the plow). I know that some V plows hinge so that they can be used either stright or V'ed. But is it worth the extra expense for a V plow? What are its advantages?

If all of you are recomending it, then I know that there is something I am overlooking. Please enlighten me..

Eric

2. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I own one sraight blade that is less than 10ft and 9 vees, 6 years ago it was completly the opposite.If you don't own or use one I can understand the question. A v plow is rarely used in the v position for more than a pass or two in a lot or for doing longer drives, and the usually only when the snow is deep.In the full v pos. the truck does not get thrown around while busting through on an initial pass and it also takes alot less ponies,kinda like a hot knife through butter. From there its all about options, the snow can be winged to the right or left or the blade can be cupped to carve off hunks of snow to be put where you choose. And the one last benefit and the one that makes me own one more than all the rest is the picking up of those pesky trails you leave in one pass without having to redo the whole lot.

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

We just got our first Vee, so I'll be able to tell more in a few months.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Here is the biggest reason to use a v plow. They save you time, and time means $$$$$. Like was mentioned the v position is rarely used,however the scoop position is where the real time saving is. I will never plow with a straight plow again.
    Dino

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I am going to buy some of fishers 9.5' v plows this year for my f 550s.

Geoff

6. eskals

eskals Member

Thanks for all the replies!

Like I said in my orgional post, if all af you are recomending it, then there is something that I am overlooking. Well, I overlooked the fact the V plows con form a scoop. That alone would sure pay for its self in cleaning up those trails (like you guys said).

Thanks for showing me the light...

Eric

7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Dino,
    Forgive me. What is the "scoop position" vs. "V" position. After hearing all of these posts I'm pretty sure I'll be buying V plows in the future. Thanks.

8. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow Senior Member

BRL,

The scoop position is an inverted V. It is used great for cleaning up windrows and corner. We have one 8.5 Western MVP but are looking for another one this year.

9. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

I began using V-Plows in the late-80's, early 90's. Certainly do have their benefits.

Bear in mind their service life is shorter than a straight blade.

10. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

The certainly wil not last as long if they are not inspected and maintained,and they are certainly higher maintanence. But if they are cared for they will as long as any other plow

11. BRL

In my mind the v position was the scoop position, so I didn't understand what other scoop there could possibly be. I didn't know anyone would be considereing using it with the point of the v out front. Although now that I think of it it, that position would come in handy for roadways that aren't wide, or long driveways. Run down the middle and maybe get it in one pass. You guys are going to talk me into one for sure. Thanks Aspen.

12. plowking35

from SE CT

Another benifit of the v plow is in traffic. Both wings are tight to the truck and it really cuts down the space needed for manuevering.
    One thing to bear in mind, is that a full trip v plow is much harder on the truck than a bottom trip v plow. In the v or scoop it takes alot more energy to trip a full moldboard trip action plow.That may be why some are seeing shorter service life.
    All plows benifit from a urethane cutting edge, it will act as a second trip device, easing the shock to,driver,plow, and truck.
    A bottom trip v plow, only has to trip half a trip edge,when an obstacle is hit. I have found the western to be very easy on the truck, and with the urethane edge alomost no energy is transmitted to the truck.
    Dino

13. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

We have also found that we are able to back blade better than with a straight-blade, and ofcourse, stack snow higher. We can also loosen frozen snow and bank ice without having to get the backhoe.

Regarding service life, I took the time last fall (about 2.5 hours) to drill grease fittings into all the grade 5 bolts in the pivot points. Lots of cutting oil is needed on the drill bit, but I did it to a plow in 1990 too and we got 9 winters out of if when we would normally trade it after 5. That's efficient in my mind.

By the way, which ever brank vee you buy, get the options that will increase productivity and cut costs in other areas - don't just go bare bones.

14. BRL

Deere,
    <By the way, which ever brank vee you buy, get the options that will increase productivity and cut costs in other areas - don't just go bare bones.>

Options such as...?

15. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Our Boss V plows work great, but are a pain to mount. It always took 2 of us to get the things on and off. However, the benefits outweighted that inconvenience. Make sure you get a snow deflector for your plow; it'll keep the snow from blowing up on your windshild when plowing; especially at higher speeds. FYI; our Boss plows didn't come w/ deflectors; they were about $250 a piece extra.

16. plowking35

from SE CT

The deflector is one option, some offer different control sticks in the cab, maybe even different hydro options.
    The makers of some v plows with single acting cyl, offer cyl locks, for back dragging to keep the wings from folding forward.Boss now offers a poly v plow. This is a critical one for boss plows, biggest complaint I have heard about them.
    I am sure others will think of different options.
    Dino

17. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

A couple things a boss plow for draging isn't a big issue because is can be set down straight and then as you back yes it will fold to a full foward v then it stops and out comes the snow.Secondly can some one explain on a cutting edge trip that is 8" tall, what happens when a 12" curb gets hit and stops the whole truck? which part tends to snap off first,is it the tower or deos the whole mount get shoved into the transmission?

18. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Diggerman,

I would think that if you're talking about a Boss V plow, the plow, mounting bracket and pins would take the excess of abuse. Ofcourse, it would depend upon how fast you're going.

In reference to the backdragging issue; I think that we can all agree that it's a pain in the rear. Our Boss V's aren't for crud for this. In fact, we had better luck with our Bobcat w/ the V plow attatchment on it for backdragging. If the guy that posted this string is going to do driveways, he might consider purchasing a nice 2 stage snow blower and some ramps to get it on the truck (or even hiring an extra guy and purchasing a second blower). All of this could be accomplished for much less than purchasing a plow and having it installed.

19. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Iowastorm I was not refering to Boss plows but to ones with a cutting edge trip,and yes Boss plows do not back drag well and if one was doing alot of residential drives there are better options but for dragging out individual parking spaces I haven't seen the problem. One thing that does help is pushing forward first to free up the snow

20. plowking35

from SE CT

1-I have never seen a 12" curb
    2- That would represent almost 1/2-1/3 of the total moldboard height,in whick case a full trip plow would not be able to save the truck/plow combo.
    I dont think any plow maker would advertise that their plow would handle a high speed contact with a 12" obstacle.
    3-Install an urethane edge and that will handle the 12" obstacle.
    4- I find your question to have no practical purpose.